Are there more worth projects that could be run together with Storj?

Power usage of those drives will eat all the benefits you might earn by dancing around the vetting process.

2 Likes

I don’t see why. I mean the vetting process takes some days for the node delivering the most data. Then you got those 9 months of incomplete pay and heldbacks. But in the end even a 500Gb drive costs on average 4W, meaning you need to have a maximum electricity price of $0.25 ((12*0.5*1.5)/(4*24*365/1000)) in the long run or a drive taking less power, like SSD or even (micro-)SD/flash.

I plan to use the worker app from bytenite (partnered with STORJ), and im already involved in funding via wefunder.
But the release will be next year, while the video encoding app is already useable.
This is only interesting for unused low power android Devices and windows with 8 GB+ ram.
wich i own both.

1 Like

My most recent node is from June. Back then, at the moment of node finishing vetting it collected around 500 GB of data in a bit less than a month, so let’s indeed consider that 500 GB drive here.

That 500 GB drive will earn you 0.5 TB * (1.7 USD / TB / month) * 0.25 = 0.2125 USD / month over the second and third months, assuming no data is deleted. Yet, with the current rate of deletions, a significant chunk of data will be deleted, and your node will have to depend on data it gets after vetting, that is, at a regular, slower vetted pace.

At the same time that 4W with electricity price of 0.25 USD will cost 0.73 USD per month.

You’re right, but at month 10-eternity… it’s the situation I calculated. Besides, you get back half of the money at month 15 if you’re node didn’t die before.

So yeah, 500Gb is probably the bottom low to break even. But 1-2TB is quite soon profitable, if you’re not doing it for the money alone. But always so your own calculation and consider whether it’s worth for you doing.

For me, it’s hobby with some financial benefit. For others it’s replenishment of their livelihood. The reason you’re here counts, and must be in the judgement of the outcome of that calculation.

My point here is, data your node receives during the vetting period is insignificant compared to whatever you do later with the node, and is unlikely to even recover electricity costs of the vetting period. There’s no point in spinning up a new node just to get more traffic just because unvetted nodes receive more.

If anything, if you have a pool of small drives, enough slots for them and electricity at a price that makes it profitable, it’s probably better to have some sort of a single node with a parity setup. With all the drawbacks of a parity setup, it’s still better than the original idea.

Alternatively, I could imagine some sort of a configuration without parity where each satellite gets a single disk. If a disk dies, only a single satellite disqualifies your node… More effort than it’s worth, but I guess would be fun to setup.

My point is that electricity costs will probably tend to go up over time, payment will go down over time, if you consider to step in do it rather sooner than later especially if you’ve got small unused drives laying around you’re not bound to use for any other purpose anyway. Further, for almost any drive is true that during vetting and probably even the first couple of months, the return on investment is negative.

For smaller disks, the amount you get during vetting period actually is significant. In case of my 500Gb micro-SD-trial it was filled with data before it was even vetted. Was fun to do BTW, performing better than SMR drives!

Besides, the longer your node is running the lower data traffic will be and therefore the lower the power usage will be off your drive.

Whatever you want. I wouldn’t ever go that way, because STORJ already takes care of the redundancy and it would put the bar of profitability even higher. I rather let one full node fail, which never happened to me (but only doing these things about half a year).

The other setup indeed is a little bit too complicated, not mentioning the fact you won’t get the same amount of data from each satellite to begin with.

In the end I think we can agree on the fact, your profitability will be higher with bigger drives, more power efficient drives, lower electricity cost (a.k.a. $/kWh) and when STORJ coin price will rise in the future. So everything is better, if the drive was already laying around, is also used for another purpose, and is big+power-efficient.

1 Like