Are there more worth projects that could be run together with Storj?

Hello node operators,

I like Storj very much, and i’m living with it many years. Great project, great idea.

I clearly understand the vision of decentralization, i like it, but it comes with it’s own issues.
I’ve build my own infrastructure for storj, it’s running fine, but it’s limited. There is no point to run 10-20-50 nodes on the same IP as you still will get the same amount as one node. But i still have a lot of drives and running machines for storj.

Do you run something else on the same hardware, just to utilize same hardware? I would like to run something more. I know FileCoin, i know SCprime (tried long time ago, but somehow it did not worked as great as Storj). I see my self as the part of web3, of decentralized world, and would like to be more involved in it.

Maybe some of you runing other projects together with Storj on the same hardware? Could you please share your experience ? It would be nice to have more projects/nodes runing for decentralization of the world.

1 Like

It’s the other way around. I utilize my hardware for the stuff I need, and because I have extra space, I run storagenode.

This is the intended usecase.

:person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Your story is different :slight_smile:

i have several IP’s in different cities and countries.
I still have many spare drives that left after upgrading bigger corporate systems.
Time to time i have spare hardware for processing these nodes. So i would be more than happy to utilize them.

I would be more than happy to run hundreds of Storj nodes if it would be possible to do on the same IP :slight_smile: while now, as i can’t add more of Storj nodes, i’m looking for extra projects to add on the top :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been away from Storj for a long time, but recently checked back in and it sounds like some people are getting 1TB+ ingress per month now? Surely some people are filling nodes and it’s worth it to start more on the same IP?

(I know this may not apply to OP: I’m just talking out loud :slight_smile: )

1 Like

My Ingress is about 60-80GB per Day

2 Likes

You won’t get more data on the same IP. But if one node is full you could run another to take more data.

4 Likes

typical ingress was around 35-40GB a day over last months for me.
Last week or 2 was indeed even 60-70GB but thats extra, and comes and goes.

1 Like

you can run chia on free space that not used by storj. for Example I have 490TB of space.
320 is filed by storj, and 150 is filed by Chia. When storj rise, i just erase some chia plots.
Chia is very low hdd usage, so it work very good with storj. for 150 TB i get around 1 chia a month.
For today prices it is 30$ a month, but when bull run will go it will be more, i think much more. And As i see bull run is slowly starting, but it takes time.

4 Likes

just to let newcomers know but lately we have bigger ingress but big deletion too. Net ingress is not 1tb per month

1 Like

Dang @Vadim - 320TB is a lot. Good job lad!

I’ve just installed my 100th TB in my rig, with about half that used by StorJ

2 Likes

That sounds like an amazing setup! Is it like ten or so system that have been filling over a couple years? Does it take much management each month?

jes it is 9 servers in several locations, I build it around 4 years for now i think. 95 windows GUI nodes. Managment not a lot, i made software for lot of automatisations.

2 Likes

Good ole days :nerd_face:

11 Likes

Chia is not a proper project. It’s just waste of hdd space, that will end one day. I don’t believe it will last long or go a lot in bull run. I believe it will die sooner or later.
I would be more interested in the projects like Storj. The real ones. The ones who solve the problem and are useful for people. While Chia looks like good only for HDD manufacturers :smiley:

p.s. How many IP’s you utilize for those 320TB of Storj ?

4 Likes

Actually, you will get more data if you start a new node as soon as they previous node has been fully vetted. Because unvetted and vetted nodes draw from different pools.

So multiple small sequentially started nodes, will in the end draw more data from the network than one big node.

1 Like

True, though this is a small amount of data in the life of a node. As I understand it, that feature is also to be removed or reworked soon so it may not be relevant before long. But for now, this is accurate.

5 Likes

Indeed, but especially when you’ve got some old hard disks lying around, these will typically be 500GB-2TB. In that case this strategy will make a quite significant difference.

2 Likes

so except CHIA? There are no more suggestions? :slight_smile:

Perhaps there are way more profitable options… but nobody wants to share them :money_mouth_face:

SCPrime, Filecoin, Spacemesh
And i’m sure there are way more