Audit failure for "invalid piece file for storage format version 1: too small for header (0 < 512)"

What could have caused this audit failure ?

ERROR   piecestore      download failed {"Piece ID": "IORMOMWSXIWXEEGXW4MPXIEOTPWLKMGMEEYLE5BCS7VTNC3JJNYQ", "Satellite ID": "1wFTAgs9DP5RSnCqKV1eLf6N9wtk4EAtmN5DpSxcs8EjT69tGE", "Action": "GET_AUDIT", "error": "pieces error: invalid piece file for storage format version 1: too small for header (0 < 512)", "errorVerbose": "pieces error: invalid piece file for storage format version 1: too small for header (0 < 512)\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/pieces.NewReader:229\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/pieces.(*Store).Reader:272\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).Download:502\n\tstorj.io/common/pb.DRPCPiecestoreDescription.Method.func2:1004\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcmux.(*Mux).HandleRPC:29\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc/rpctracing.(*Handler).HandleRPC:58\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).handleRPC:111\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).ServeOne:62\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).Serve.func2:99\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcctx.(*Tracker).track:51"}

Sounds like file corruption. Did you check the storage for file system errors?

Yes, nothing so far. I strongly suspect power outage causing abrupt shutdown might be one reason. I would like to pinpoint the exact issue though.

That might be tough. Did you check the file mentioned? I’m guessing it’s 0 bytes. Unsafe shutdown could have caused it I guess, but I’m not sure how you can ever be 100% sure.

That’s the first thing I did, yes it is zero. I suspect during copy from temp to final location there was outage. Could anything else cause it though?

In theory it could be hardware failure of the hdd or even memory. But I’d say that’s not very likely. Does the file creation time align with a power outage that you know of?

File was created on 23rd August 2020. I have purged that old data from my memory :nerd_face:

1 Like

Sure, you’ve purged it from your brain, but what about logs? You’d definitely see a restart around that time.

Apparently system logs go as far as Nov 2020 so no luck there.

That’s too bad. But for what it’s worth, if it took half a year for an audit failure to happen, there’s certainly not going to be extensive damage.

1 Like

I am not OCD about it but owing to my name I like scores to be 100 not 99.99999999. Also such errors are educational.

Next on the to-do list is finding all files that are ZERO in size.

I would still appreciate any more valuable input anyone else may have.

3 Likes