Bandwidth utilization comparison thread

i made a server room and didn’t control the air temp nor humidity… so now my old junk box of a server is full off corrosion… yay… lol but had to learn it someway better now with a cheap old box than with a 100k$ setup

1 Like

if you get more than 2tb ingress you can… so more subnet ip’s get you past that… but storj hates that because then they cannot know where stuff is and thus multiple pieces can be lost in one crash… which risks their data…

I do it simply because I like discs and tapes. And servers. And in general all IT, including crypto, data analytics… But is it worth investing in Storj? You are not confused that the standard answer of StorjLabs is NO. Do not invest in a Storj - this is another mistake of StorjLabs in product positioning in my opinion.

What is happening with the team now? I don’t hear anything substantial, road map abandoned, there are no surges and promos, the team is constantly shaking up, it feels like it was transferred to part- time. Ask me if it is worth investing and I will certainly answer NO!

2 Likes

yes of course you can get bigger that way but it’s kind of cheating the system hahaha
I was referring to the scenario of one big server with a shitload of drives

If my 8TB node works well I might setup nodes at a few of my friends’ places so that they are on different subnets.

Today at mostly test trafic, so 1 client, when will be lot of clients, IP filtering will be not relevant. As peaces will be lot of from different files.

I spent some time on this issue. Even soldered and program my first electronic device - a fan controller. Its display can be seen on the second large case on the top right.
@Odmin make a full case for 60+ drives with reasonable noise. You could see it on the townhall slides

1 Like

generally the noise is just due to the construction and how the server is suppose to be used… big servers doesn’t have to be noisy, even old rack server can be upgraded to use low noise fans… ofc best practice if one wants low noise is to simply get a larger server with larger fans… those small high rpm industrial fans are just howlers…

and power hungry too… i think each of my fans uses like 50-60 watts… seems insane i know… maybe i should actually look into if i can get some that will run cheaper…
but this old server is kinda on it’s last legs, haven’t treated it well so … don’t really like to throw more money at it…

I use chefteck 4U rackmount server, can put 6-8 HDDs and it have 120mm ventelator on in, and proccesor with low noice fan about 100-120mm I use this cases, because it have filter that i clean every week, so less dust inside. Used Desctop cases befor, it is takes so many dust inside and very hard to clean.

1 Like

My best practice is install must effective fan in factory slots and bind it rpm to hdd temp :slight_smile:
Must effective usually meant max rpm max size and deep and mag lev.

2 Likes

13Jul2020
Node 1:

Node 2:

2 Likes

looks like a foto finish but i’m ahead… ever so slightly…

SGC - ingress 120,47 - egress 70,13 = 5,91 ‰ of stored 11,86 TB
dragonhogan - ingress 117,52 - egress 65,78 = 6,12 ‰ of stored - 10,68 TB
(didn’t manage to read your total stored… so i just took the one from yesterday :P)

NOOOOOO!!! i lost… again i predict everybody has better egress to stored numbers than me today… :smiley:

i can see the future lol
on another note this might be the closest to actually pulling ahead of dragonhogan i’ve been thus far…

1 Like

let’s see if I can get my 1st place back hahaha

1 Like

nope :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: maybe tomorrow :wink:

1:

2:

3:

HA!
Finally passed my first TB!
node 1

node 2

And this is for @SGC to make you smile :smiley:
My egress/TB stored is going consistently down.

Soon I will join the ranks of 70-somethings :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

the clustering does kinda get very visible when one lists it like this… high tb = lower egress to stored… or so it seems… hope you enjoy… your first place while it lasts lol

kevink        - ingress 121,15 - egress 37,18  = 08,50 ‰ of stored 04,08 TB 
shoofar       - ingress 126,25 - egress 09,77  = 08,14 ‰ of stored 01,2 0TB
TheMightyGeek - ingress 121,15 - egress 12,18  = 06,27 ‰ of stored 01,94 TB
dragonhogan   - ingress 117,52 - egress 65,78  = 06,12 ‰ of stored 10,68 TB
SGC           - ingress 120,47 - egress 70,13  = 05,91 ‰ of stored 11,86 TB 
striker43     - ingress 121,61 - egress 61,59  = 05,68 ‰ of stored 10,84 TB
2 Likes

you’re still pretty far ahead haha
How old is your node ?

Yeah @SGC maybe you get 70% of traffic but your node has ~3x more data which calculates to 2x more egress than Kevin. Though it would be nicer to have 3 x more egress :smiley:

It’s still a little bit ahead but the percentage is constantly going down…
My node is 16 month old.

It looks like storj not download very old data