Bandwidth utilization comparison thread

Well I imagine partial graceful exit won’t be paid either. The biggest downside right now is the missed income while the node is down.

2 Likes

EU North 1 finally vetted after 7 months 2 days!!! I started 24th December 2020 and on 26th June 2021, I hit 100 audits. I have 1.51TB stored

3 Likes

Some stats from my oldest nodes (between 17 and 24 months old) since beginning of June:

The youngest, 3-4 months old:

2 Likes

Hit 100USD this month:

usually for past 6-8 months. the payout usually aroung $60-80.
Overall June is very good month, hopefully this can maintain throughout the year!

5 Likes

Not bad, I have 22.5 TB stored and will only get 85-86$. How old are your nodes?

1 Like

I’m earning about $60 with a node as old as V3 has been active. With ~18TB.
Always had freespace available. But, i am using multiple nodes in 7TB increments for flexibility. I’m starting to think that a single node handles the full/available requests across the IP much better.

$90 is my goal, so I can pay for the line. Are you using multiple IPs/locations, or you think you’re in a more optimal location? EU seems to get more data than US from what i’ve seen in the past.

1 Like

egress and thus monthly payout’s aren’t comparable in all cases, some nodes can experience good weeks or months if they have data which is repeatedly used by the network.

it’s been a while since i have seen it, but it was one of the things we saw with our initial bandwidth monitoring on this thread, i think the node in question did 5x egress over the avg for about 2 weeks.

egress is essentially a lottery, so there doesn’t have to be any magic spice added to see nodes over performing, tho test data from storj seems to maybe set to minimum’s.
because a certain % of node data will be test data and thus most likely see a more consistent egress…

15.8 TB node, which a couple of days of downtime and now 566GB trash, so down to 15.2TB
has earned 47.47$ this month so far.
with an Egress of 1.54TB, my node is 16 months.
giving me an avg of 3$ pr TB this month… but that is a bit below the avg about 10% which fits with me having nearly 3 days of downtime this month.

i think the avg is regarded as being 3.3$ earned pr TB stored pr month currently.

was 4$ not many months ago.

Ingress seems to be nearly identical across all nodes with are performing correctly… or was when we last tested it and still seems to be relevant…

would be very interesting to see more investigation into egress tho… but it seemed very random last we tried to make sense of it.

Denmark and this would be my monthly egress.

21 month for the first 3 nodes. my soYouStart node is about 18month.
Bottom 3 node just started end of last year

You guys have multiple IPs? @mus6677 and @Carlotronics

Looking at your ingress for this month, it seems to be about double my ingress on a single IP…

Each node has its own IP on a distinct /24 subnet.

Hey @SGC , how are you doing the VPS forwarding?

painfully in my experience…
mostly because cloud providers generally suck or are super expensive.

i just use iptables, simple and straight forward and i can fairly easily switch from any place to another, also keeps the compute and memory overhead quite low… ofc on systems without DPU’s one can still see it working when using like a single vcore, but most of my setups has DPU’s and thus everything aside from network traffic is just flatlined lol
since i use iptables.

it’s been very educational, and i no longer trust cloud services from india… lol

1 Like

Linode is looking attractive at the moment - particularly with the 60 day credit to start.

okay… i haven’t looked much at it… but let me take a look a try to pick it apart. :smiley:
i think i did scan through their site as they have been recommended from many youtube channels i like.

like this, the bandwidth is a bit low, but these low tier vps’s are usually the cheaper rungs.
but still 1TB bandwidth pr month, that quickly tells me that they have high value on their bandwidth and since we are rerouting data we are doubling the network throughput.

also it’s an american company, and america having their own major internet infrastructure issues.
which often keeps bandwidth prices high or allotments low.

ofc if you have a location or a colocation near a linode datacenter / location then it might not be a bad idea… i initially considered azure… because it was close by … but they are like 5x or 10x the cost of most other providers.

but really bandwidth bits you in the ass, and if it isn’t bandwidth then its limited subnets, or pre existing nodes on the subnets, scam like cloud providers and a general state of not knowing what to do.
just keeping on throwing money at the problem hoping it will eventually sort itself out and end up actually having profits from the project lol…

sure its nice with more ingress, but for every step the increase becomes a fraction of the former.
going from 1 to 2 is 100% boost … going from 2 to 3 is 50% … and so it sort of has diminishing returns, ofc if one has high overhead like i do, then to even hope to offset my expenses on the local hardware i have to expand since i pull like 300 watts

1 Like

Absolutely. When I was back in Aus my electricity bill was already huge and that was up to 2007 and the bills really tripled or even worse after that. (Probably running a dozen machines at home back then) I was paying $400-$500 per quarter. Based on current prices I’d probably be $1500-$2000 per quarter now. So, I’d be very unlikely to be running significant storj nodes back there unless hosted at my employer. As it is, here in Russia, electricity is included in our rent and my wife already told the landlord we are both in IT and run a large amount of computer equipment and they didn’t care. Which then means I can run three Gen 5 Proliant’s and not worry too much so long as they are spread across circuits. That said, I’m planning hardware upgrades anyway so the G5’s should be fully replaced in the next few months. I’m waiting for new SAS disks and the first of 64GB ram to arrive to setup the first new server at the moment.
Long term each machine will have 192GB of ram and I’m planning two boxes to replace three.

I’ve got a second server being shipped from the US by ebay global shipping which should also be here in about a month. They really screwed up and priced the shipping at $40 USD so I grabbed it. :slight_smile: I’ve had good luck with my ebay purchases so hoping this continues. I’d love to grab a Gen 9 Proliant but not quite financial enough for that just yet.

2 Likes

yeah power here is so expensive i’ve been considering moving some place with hydro power so its much more affordable.

1 Like

Also the reason I left Aus in the first place. I was working in the Aluminium industry and it was becoming obvious there would be no new smelting projects in Australia - ever again. Hence my projects in Oman and Canada. The Canadian Smelter we re-developed was fully powered by Hydro power. I’ve also worked at a coal fired power station and an electricity distributor/retailer so I know what is involved from Generation to consumption. One of my responsibilities was to look after the SCADA that ran the control system for the largest consumer of electricity in energy in the country. lol Was always scary when that went down! lol.

1 Like

Ok I have noticed something interesting in recent days as the new months started. though this trend was seen last month also.

So I deployed 5 months ago a node in DC. It seems that the decreased latency and the increased uplink speed is giving me some kind of advantage as this one node isn’t the biggest one but has the largest egress out of all the nodes that I run

yeah, i think it’s due to the DC having tier1 internet, thus their traffic will take priority over other traffic and thus one gets better performance than the plebs.
nothing amazing tho… but still maybe 2-5% … i forget the exact number i calculated and my system is a steaming pile right now… and most of my monitoring is down.

think it was 2%

2 Likes

Node started in February 21. Gone through a migration from pi4 4TB usb to Synology ds920+ with 4x16TB in SHR1. Hopefully I get vetted soon. On 1GBit/s connection.

1 Like