Best HDD for STORJ?

i know this like 13 years old now… but it’s one i’ve read… so thats what you are going to get…
i find this particularly useful due to it being on high numbers of drives and thus is a bit more scientific also there are many different graphs and graphs are pretty :smiley:
lots of good perspectives…
there is certainly an argument to be made for keep hdd temp within certain limits, ofc it’s not always applicable, some models won’t care much…

hmmm been a while since i looked at this… seem 45 degrees c is about optimal life
or was 13 years ago… :smiley:
i really need to get more control on my server room environment… humidity is to high and temp is to low…

i remember this graph quite clearly… but thats far from the total image
ofc i’m in the 15-30 range… so not like i’m better of in theory… and ofc the age of my drives… well they have more run time than this graph has time… so … :smiley:

if you want to really get some understanding about what the temps does, i suggest one looks at the entire paper… its quite interesting an far from straight forward, that was just the graph numbers that had stuck with me… and i cannot really change my temps like most of you…

Just put a heater in the server room :slight_smile:

I don’t know of any 3.5in drives, but there are multiple 2.5 ones that are “USB only”

1 Like

i’m more prone to thinking… GET MORE SERVERS XD
i got a huge server room, and only one server lol maybe 30-50m2

also a matter of insulation, it’s not directly exposed to the outside… but indirectly… so heating it is a battle one will never win… free cooling tho… :smiley:

2 Likes

That 3 months graph make me think disks are just like car engines: they need metal to expand by heat to a certain extent to break in properly.

1 Like

yeah it’s a bit funny tho, because many people will just assume their new hdd is good and use it for backup… and ofc with limited workload and limited uptime it’s most likely not a big issue… but still they rarely understand that putting their backup on their new drive is infact more dangerous than keeping it on an older worn in drive :smiley:

i suppose it’s not unlike taking a new car on vacation… it’s just a bad plan… sure might work out fine… for most people…

4 Likes

Hello community!

I would like to know what hard disk is the most recommended for a new node. I seen many users with storage nas with redundancy but is too expend and complexity for me and I wanted to know which hard disk will be fine for star a new node with my raspberry pi 4.

Many people use internal hard disk for create a node but Why? I know that exist special disks for store data of 3,5 but I seen that the price of hard disk of 2,5 external is cheaper, 4-6TB for 100€ approx, and consume low electricity, maybe they are SSD It’s a bad option for start? Have a low live maybe? In this moment I don’t want use redundancy it’s my first node.

Will be fine to know whitch hard disk you can recommend (style, company…)

Pd: Excuse me for my English, I’m learning it :slight_smile :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s already a thread on that subject:

Oops! I didn’t see it. The moderator can delete the post without any problem.

1 Like

There are no 6TB 2.5inch drives, 5TB is max.

Also, all 2.5 inch drives above 2TB (with ONE exception) use the SMR recording technique, with is not recommended for Storj

3 Likes

Correct. This link might help someone who wants more information about it.

1 Like

The bigger HDD, the better TB/W ratio. As well as TB/$. Look for CMR drive. I suggest go for:

1. Exos X16
  2. SkyHawk
  3. WD Purple
2 Likes

That’s not true, 4TB drives offer the best price to capacity ratio.

4x4TB vs 1x16TB will loose on electricity bill. You have to spin 4 drives instead of 1 drive. Make the math for 5 years and you will see the difference.

As well you have to have 4 separate HDD enclosures, that’s ±15-20eur each.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 17.20.47 PM

Even not taking in to count 3 times more electricity, 16TB drive have better TB/$ radio.

For some reason preview shows 451eur for 16TB drive, but if you open the link, you will see 414eur.

https://www.amazon.es/Western-Digital-Purple-4000GB-Serial/dp/B071KVB4F8/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=4tb+wd+purple&qid=1605539798&sr=8-1

3 Likes

I also have a best price on 4TB which I bought almost 50 of them.

1 Like

I recommend this webpage for $/TB ratings: https://diskprices.com

In my localization 8-12 TB drives are usually the cheapest, they occasionally reach 15 EUR/TB with promotions.

3 Likes

I checked for germany:

Somehow, 4TB drives seem to be really expensive on amazon.es :smiley:

1 Like

Lets assume, that these disks are spining 24/7 for 5 years. Electricity cost is 0,13eur/kwh, average power usage 7W per disk.

50x 4TB drives ~7W each = 350W for 200TB
vs
12,5x 16TB drives ~7W each = 87W for 200TB

1 year: 50 drives = 400eur
1 year: 12,5 drives = 100eur.

5 years: 50 drives = 2000eur.
5 years: 12,5 drives = 500eur.

1 Like

More or less the same: