Big Spikes in egress

Well, nothing we say is going to reassure everyone if they are naturally suspicious. But, we tend to be as transparent as possible and while that doesn’t satisfy the people who want to know about every single thing the company is doing, we tend to strike a balance of being informative while allowing the business to spend time on the business and not answering questions continuously.

Heunland is right. She won’t lie to you. She has been here from the very start with Storj. You can trust her. She advocates for the SNO’s and end users all the time to the company. And she tells it how it is. So, have some faith, Storj isn’t here to deceive you.

7 Likes

if so, it would be a repair traffic, otherwise - customers downloads their data.
Sorry to destroy your conspiracy theory.

For honestly I’m a little bit surprising, why we (SNO) would complain to have egress (finally!) traffic?

6 Likes

Haha, I’m not complaining, I’m just stirring the pot. And sure my thoughts are just my thoughts… a theory… however a theory where many of the variables point the the same conclusion. Whether or not it’s already happening, or whether or not there is a plan to make it happen doesn’t change the basics of business and that’s not the fault of the Storj team. I’ll continue to support the project as long as there’s some amusement and a buck to be made. If somehow it all gets better for us great! If not well… that sucks for us, but I still hope for the best for the company. It’s still a great project and a great alternative to the centralized solutions… and if it steals any business away from the tech giants that’s a success in my book!

1 Like

I dream when these giants start buying storage from Storj, there is a lot of unused disk space in the world.

1 Like

aaaand-theyre-gone

2 Likes

At least, @Alexey and other forum admins are on our side, because if general network dissolves itself, the SNOs leave the forum and there is no need for admins anymore.
I still have faith in our future. :blush:

I’m a SNO too. So not only the forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How much TB’s ya got? :face_with_monocle: :wink:

You can rest your suspicions because @heunland will not tell you something if it is not true.

She has been here longer than most everyone, has vast knowledge and will not say something unless she is certain it is a fact.

The fact is, the commercial network is not even available yet for the things that concern you.
When it is available, there will be public messaging, a marketing campaign and all the other normal things we would expect to see when a company offers a new product or service.

3 Likes

I’m not saying anyone at Storj has any specific intentions to push us out… but something like that certainly isn’t unheard of in the corporate world, it literally happens all the time… and when things like that happen they always say “you can trust us”. It’s pretty much the go to… look at just about every crypto exchange just before it tanked!

Having a healthy skepticism and not blindly taking people at their word isn’t a bad thing, and nobody should feel insulted or offended because of it… it’s not personal. Just ask any investor and they’ll tell you it’s a trait that’s absolutely necessary. I work in finance, primarily now in the crypto space… I’ve seen first hand the shady business practices adopted by companies… the legal and moral grey areas they operate in. I will say though that many people in the crypto space that are actually passionate about what they do actually do tend to care very much about their communities and I do believe that applies here.

However… again, I’m not saying I believe the team has bad intentions because I don’t. I realize I may phrase things in such a way that might sound like that though so many hardcore supporters of Storj probably won’t like me because of that. To them I say… see the note below. But it’s not meant as a attack on Storj, I’m just trying to stir up conversation. Maybe prevent someone from making a bad investment. Intentions aside, businesses will do what they need to in order to survive… and make a profit. That’s the whole point. Additionally, whenever there’s outside investors involved, morals, hopes, dreams and good intentions of the leadership teams generally go right out the window. Sometimes in more extreme cases even the leadership team go with them. Tesla (the electric car company) is a perfect example of this. Sorry Musk lovers!

The question isn’t whether or not Storj has bad intentions, it’s what are the end results of their actions… and based on what I see, it points to a pretty clear outcome. Is there some wiggle room for that outcome, sure! But as it stands, the current course of action leads to certain decisions being made for the interests of the company which are inconsistent with their claims. Maybe many on the team simply don’t have the foresight to see that yet, but I do find it VERY hard to believe that the top brass doesn’t.

Note: I did this same thing with StorX too… although I kinda tore them apart. I was pretty harsh on them because the whole project just looks like a shitty cash grab ponzi scheme. Their team couldn’t even answer my questions at Consensus, and honestly I was kinda pissed they were even there in the first place. Anything that isn’t expected or part of their sales pitch gets the deer in the headlights look. Like how they could ever actually store data on all the nodes people are running on VPSs that are nothing more than staking nodes with no actual storage space. So don’t think I’m singling Storj out, I’m not. I like and support the project, I’m just not afraid to point out certain things. And even if we get pushed out, as long as Storj keeps to their claims for their customers sake I will still continue to support the project and tell others about it because I do truly believe it’s the best decentralized storage option available.

4 Likes

Just adding my 5 cents about unusual behaviour. This specific node was created in July 2023.
Unusual here means that over the last 18 months of being SNO with several nodes I did not see that kind of egress, usually it’s more or less flat distribution of traffic with no huge spikes.

These 2 pictures posted are really amazing. I see ‘some’ spikes that day but nothing of this magnitude.
Maybe it is some regional geo fencing thing that has been download massively. Are these nodes in US maybe?

My servers are in northeast US.

That was my guess. Congrats to the US SNOs then. I don’t have a node there… :neutral_face:

had two spikes for two nights in a row which maxed out my egress.

nothing this night tho… so yeah guess it was in the states.

My nodes have had egress spikes too (EU, Russia)

But not so great of course.

3 posts were split to a new topic: A missing link at site feedback category in the Community Standards FAQ section

Roma, Italy

1 Like

It was clearly coming from the US1-Sattelite. Dunno what happened but liked it. Now its back to normal since some days.

grafik

1 Like

likely a some big customer

1 Like