Big Spikes in egress

Ive noticed this evening im seeing huge spikes of 200-300 Mbps for 5-20 seconds at a time uploading* , I’m not complaining its there to be used. Just wondering if that’s normal?

1 Like

yeah seems we have just seen some very high egress…

found out i might need to rethink some of my network configurations.

yeah , no worries on my end im 600/600 easily get 1 gig both ways if was ever needed.

1 Like

Uploading means ingress to your node, downloading means egress from your node. We use the customer’s point of view on traffic.
So, what traffic do you see? Ingress or egress?

1 Like

I see high egress. A spike over 300GBytes of data downloaded from clients. These spikes are recursive, i have two others spikes on 14th and 19th august and yesterday. Ever 5 days approximately.

3 Likes

Yes i peaked over 0.9 Gbit/s this night.

How many nodes do you have?

40+ nodes i do have.

Nothing noted on any of my nodes.
Happy for you, though :slight_smile:

so it would be Egress .

1 Like

I see a very steap spike today too.

I see it too. Good several hours of about a 25x increase in egress than normal and overall about a 5 to 7x sustained increase from what I was getting. Although ingress has dropped quite a bit lately too. For some time now, data is deleted about as fast as it comes in. Probably all heading to some of those fancy new data center nodes.

1 Like

… sooo… “the clients that already are on general network, won’t move; the premium offer is just for new commers” assurance ended quickly :slight_smile:

Yeah, I say that jokingly but can’t shake the feeling of it not being a joke. Seems a little to coincidental that all of a sudden right after announcing further pay cuts and cheaper commercial data center nodes our egress increases substantially while ingress has been around half what I usually see. Certainly makes one wonder…

Probably all heading to some of those fancy new data center nodes.

¨the clients that already are on general network, won’t move; the premium offer is just for new commers” assurance ended quickly

1. the commercial network has not even been finished getting implemented yet, there is no movement of client data from public to SOC2 compliant network going on.
  2. even when the commercial tier is ready, existing big node operators that want to start offering storage on the commercial tier cannot just migrate their existing public node data over, instead, if they want to switch existing public network node(s) to SOC2 compliant, all existing data would automatically get wiped from their existing nodes and repaired to other public nodes, it will not get moved to the SOC2 compliant network. They will have to start new fresh SOC2 nodes, while they also can keep operating the existing nodes on the public network if they so choose.
6 Likes

Having also great spikes. Kinda like it because then there will be more paid traffic but on the other hand it doesn’t seem great that there is no limit in uplading as well. It should have hitted the bandwith limit:

Yea, it was fun, but short spikes in egress today, more please!

Gotta admit though, it looks pretty suspicious… and all we have to go on is your word that it’s not happening / going to happen, which in terms of the typical level of honesty in the corporate world isn’t exactly the most reassuring… especially since Storj has every incentive to do exactly that if / when there is a large enough sustainable commercial network, and very little if any incentive not to.

I’m not saying Storj IS doing this, I’m simply pointing out that it could certainly be interpreted that way. It certainly is quite the coincidence. Additionally, if Storj continues down this path, even if there’s currently no intention to push out smaller operators (which I find hard to believe hasn’t at least been discussed at some level in the company) it’s pretty much inevitable that this will happen naturally anyway.

Let’s face it… the company is going to do what’s best for the company, plain and simple. And I wouldn’t necessarily hold it against them. Decisions will have to be made. But the fact that (assuming enough data centers jump onboard) Storj will have access to plenty of data storage that’s cheaper, sold at a premium with higher profit margins and enables Storj to advertise SOC2 compliance in legit data centers as opposed to Joe Dipshit’s spaghetti mess of Raspberry Pis and slow external hard drives run out of his mom’s basement all while still maintaining the decentralized nature of the network tells you all you need to know.

Not only that, but what’s to keep Storj from putting everyone’s data on the commercial network? There’s no reason it can’t be on there, and has every reason TO be on there. By default, storing any data on the network that comes at a lower cost to Storj means higher profit margins for that data. Anyone who believes a company will voluntarily pay more money for (arguably) an inferior product absent any backroom deals (which definitely doesn’t apply to SNOs) clearly doesn’t understand business!

The simple fact is, it would be a smart business decision for the company, and completely ignoring this fact (although understandable) is a little insulting to those of us who understand the economics of such things. This basically says one of two things… either we’re being lied to because Storj is worried about the backlash the truth would bring with it, or the people in charge of making decisions are… let’s just say too new to how business works. Unfortunately based on some of the people I’m familiar with in the project I have a hard time believing the latter. Either way though, neither one looks good for anybody so stay in your cabins, the ships fine!

1 Like

Lol, guess I screwed myself… about the same time I posted here my egress dropped back to more normal levels.

Same here and I was silent the whole time, so you are good :slight_smile:.

3 Likes