Bye bye for now

I’d have to go back to the video, but I believe they said the network was built around that assumption. I’m not entirely sure that was actually a real statistic. But even if it is, that doesn’t tell us a lot yet. There are probably lots of nodes that check in, but never resolve port forwarding issues. Others who never get out of vetting phase and many more. Those do barely any damage to the network, if any at all, but would drag down that average a lot.

We would need a bit more info, which is why it’s one of the questions I asked. But the response was basically: “Don’t worry about it, we don’t think it’s a problem”. And I’m sure it isn’t a problem for the network. But it may point to SNOs not being happy.

1 Like

That is my assessment as well.

My oldest node is 17 months now. 3.25 TB stored. I have reduced allocation to 0 before the recent increas in customer uploads. So without the latest develpment my download traffic is 5 % customer downloads and 5% repair downloads so 10% in total. I see that behavior on most of my nodes.

It is not possible to predict the customer behavior. I wanted to track the number of downloads per pieceID. My idea was to identify customers that upload mostly backup data and never download it. It would be allowed to reject the upload. However I ended up not doing it because it would reduce my payout. Let’s say from 100 backup customers 1 needs to download the full backup. That would still be 1% download traffic. My bottleneck is my internet connection. I want to max out my connection with customer downloads. Hard drives are cheap. So what I need to do is fill my hard drive with as many backups as possible and take the money if one of them needs to restore the backup. A customer might upload a video file and share it. First few month barly no hits and suddenly it get postet several times in a short time generating a hugh amount of download traffic. I don’t think the assumption is correct that old data has to fall behind in download traffic. At least not on my nodes.

If you want a full understanding of the how frequently files have been accessed on a linux system you can always run agedu.

As my node is a Pi with a single spinning disk agedu took 36 hours to run against my 6TB of storage as it creates a data file and then uses this to create a reporting database. All the resulting IO on the same drives as STORJ is running against is painful.

Sadly the resulting heat map shown in the web output is not that useful to share, but for my system, about 50% of the files had not been touched for over 6 months.

1 Like

Vadim, I had hoped to emulate your setup over the longer term but I no longer think that is possible with current data levels. Maybe that will change as adoption grows.

1. Every isp connection is a cost that needs to be paid for.
    It means a SNO would be in the hole for a significant period of time before even breaking even.
  2. If a SNO has only a single ISP then it means 9-10 months before even one payment - as the L2 system is still useless for now in terms of using it to offset costs.
  3. Surge payments that existed during the early part of the network life have gone the way of the dodo.

I just don’t think at current usage levels anyone can replicate your setup without incurring significant additional costs. Maybe if one has a large extended family where you can locate nodes on different isp’s. :slight_smile:

1 Like

with the current state of ETH Storj is doomed
also Storj has bad tokenomics for the SNO
and the worst is Storj as a construct does not offer “public” data, so Stroj is just glorified backup
it is over for Storj

2014: Bitcoin is dead
2015: Bitcoin is dead
2016: Bitcoin is dead
2017: Bitcoin is dead
2018: Bitcoin is dead
2019: Bitcoin is dead
2020: Bitcoin is dead
2021: Bitcoin is dead

6 Likes

That does happen to be their primary business, Storj tokens are a means of funding and payment processing - it is not their primary business.

If you are here because you think that the business aims are based on the idea that Storj tokens are a way to gain untold wealth you may be somewhat mistaken.

4 Likes

Are you mean this: https://docs.storj.io/dcs/how-tos/host-a-static-website
Or this: Publicly Exposed Network Data (official statistics from Storj DCS satellites) and as result - Storj Network Statistics - Grafana

yes similar, can you host a website on storj (the files) or serve videos
the problem is you need keys to ask for fragments
so you have to have a back end point where the fragments are requested and then assembled (cashed) and then served
this is not useful, using stroj does not benefit you as content provider

I have problems to follow you. Storj supports all that right now. You can host and share content. We have customers that start using this feature. Are you saying these customers will get a problem later on and some external force will stop them? I don’t understand why these customers are saying it is useful to them while you are claiming it is not useful. So one side must be wrong then?

lets say I have hosted a file, hello_world.jpg , on storj
how do I send a link(or something) to that file, without using amazon or 3rd party

Do you have an account on any satellite? Just login, open the object browser, type in your encryption key, navigate to your file and press the share button. You get a link that you can send to your friends.

If you don’t like to enter your encryption key (server side encryption) you can also use uplink cli to share a file. It is more secure but requires some command line magic.

3 Likes

can you post one such link ?

You can have a look at this one: Fireplace 10 hours full HD.mp4 | Storj DCS

6 Likes

I stand corrected. It is a storj link.

Here’s a blog post of pixel experience using exactly this for ROM distribution.

7 Likes

Well , this is long “Bye bye” thread
Best of luck @direktorn