Can I create a second node behind the same public IP address with a new Auth Token?

Can I create a second node behind the same public IP address with a new Auth Token? Do I need a new public IP to create the second node?

Only open another node if your first node is full. Having more than 1 node won’t give you more data. Instead your bandwidth will be divided in 2 nodes. This isn’t like mining where you get more GPUs/ASICs to make more money. I hope that helped :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. Assuming bandwidth isn’t an issue can one add another node using the same public IP or is a new Public IP required or better?

Hello @citrustriangle,
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you can. But each new node should be vetted first. The vetting node can receive only 5% of possible traffic until got vetted. To be vetted on the satellite, it should pass 100 audits for it.
Normally it should take at least a month for the one node.

In case of multi setup, all your nodes behind the same subnet /24 of public IPs will be treated as a one node, so this small amount of traffic will be distributed between all your nodes. And the vetting process will be in the same times longer as the number of your nodes.

This is why it’s better to setup a second node only when the first one almost full. In this case the vetting process would not take forever.

4 Likes

Is the best solution for building a storj farm with many nodes to have different locations with different public IP addresses for each node? So, if I want to have 10 separate nodes I would have 10 different public IP addresses?

Yes. In a different subnets. Even better - in the different physical locations.

Anyone have the full steps on how to

how do i know my node is finished vetting? is there any message on the dashboard?

1 Like

No message on dashboard but you can use audit scripts to find out if your node has passed 100 audits or not.

1 Like

Hi Alex,

Your explanation is loud and clear!

I understand multiple nodes behind the same IP will be treated as one single node during the vetting stage.

How about after the vetting stage? Will my nodes be treated as one single node during data distribution? Will 2 nodes receive double data versus 1 node?

Nope, that applies after vetting too:
2 nodes would share the amount of ingress they receive.

1 Like

Hey guys. Im running a node now since 2 years. I have 4Tb running. Its running nice and smooth. At the moment im making between 10 and 13 Dollars a Month. Its ok for me becaus i see the storj token strong in the future!

Now i wanna do a upgrade. I have optical fiber with 250/250mbit and a fixed ip.

I have bought a used qnap NAS for cheap and i will put in there 16tb iron wolf.

can i just start a node on the same ip adress? or what should i do?

That doesn’t really seem related to the earnings estimator, but yeah you can just spin up a second node on it on the same IP. If the other node is full (which I assume it is after 2 years), all incoming traffic will go to the new node after vetting is done. Be sure to use a new identity and authorization token for the new node though.

Edit: Thanks for the move @Alexey! Always on point!

2 Likes

Yes you can, you need to generate a new identity, sign it with a new authorization token and follow guide: How to add an additional drive? | Storj Docs

2 Likes