Can I mine Storj with a 32bit Computer?

I would like to mining Storj with a 32 bit pc… Do anyone know if is possible?
?

Welcome to the forum @Pietro.anon!

You need 64 bit to run docker but for Windows there is Storj GUI too.

Storj isn’t mining at all so you shouldn’t expect mining behavior either.

Can you tell us more about the PC? Some PCs come with a 32bit OS preinstalled, but are capable of running 64bit.

I have understood it, I am asking if I can make a 32bit PC a Storj server

I have many old PC with Windows 7 and Windows XP and they are all x86… I would like to make those old PC server.

Can you please specify the CPU used in those machines?

x86-64 CPUs have been very common even in the times of Windows XP

thank you for your help… I will write you in 6 hour because now I am in school

you sure it’s actually 32 bit and not just has a 32bit os installed…

only something like micro computers today run on 32bit… any computer you could think about running storj on that can support having reasonable sized drives will be using 64bit cpu’s
my server thats 10 years old is 64 bit and thats not even early 64bit stuff… so yes you can run storj on anything that isn’t very old… thats basically the main barrier you run into is that the technology becomes so outdated that it cannot control the kinds of stroragespace you want to use for storj

but if’s its new hardware, then storj will basically run on your digital toaster…

Thank you for the answer… the computers I have are like 15 years old but they still work with Win 7 32bit
Their CPU are 32 bit. I thought that could be a good idea to use them as a server for Storj network in order to make a bit of money…they have 32 bit CPU I would like to know only if is possible to set them as a server for Storj network.

you might quickly run into difficult with the computer being able to manage many terabytes of storage… so don’t expect to keep using it long… and it will most likely use enough power that a RPI or similar might pay itself off in a year or so.

and ofc the goes the time spent on setting it up and then having to migrate to another system later, but for a first go… i’m sure it’s fine.

so yes you can run storj on anything that isn’t very old… thats basically the main barrier you run into is that the technology becomes so outdated that it cannot control the kinds of stroragespace you want to use for storj

so if is too old is kind of impossible to use… the problem is that i don’t hav money to spent to buy pc… the PC I have are from people that put them in the garbage… so I don’t ge tgood stuff… for this reason the cpu I have are 32 bit

Thank you… What do you think 64bit PC only 10 years old? … I have also some of them … I actually have 5 of them They run very well with win 7 x64 And ubuntu 19 x64

Well, then use those?

Let’s not confuse mining storj with running a storagenode.
Your not mining storj it’s not mineable. Your running software to run a storagenode and it filling your hard drive with actual customers data, and you get paid with a storj token.

2 Likes

i assume he is talking about running a storagenode, since doing any sort of processing on that old devices is…

IMHO you can do it. Only problem could be that very old motherboards don’t have SATA ports.
I personally tried some ARM boards like Odroid with 2GB of RAM and it ran fine. People use RPi to run storagenodes.
Also I have unused Core2Duo PC with Windows 7 and I’m sure it’s more capable than those SBC :slight_smile:

thank you for the answare