Can someone explain me "storage.allocated-bandwidth"?

im looking at:

there is this storage.allocated-bandwidth setting in the config - does this mean if i for example have an isp with a max of 10TB a month - just an example.

i can then set this value to 10TB a month and that will then be the max theoritical ingress?
what happends if i for example reach 10TB in 23 days (i know i wont) and all the bandwidth on the node is used - then how can people get their files? does egress overrule this? is a header for egress counted in this setting?

for example i might setup at node where i want to test some things on a third network i have access to - can i set it to 1TB if thats all i want to dedicate?`

Thanks alot in advance

It’s not used anymore

Okay. does that mean i have no way of limiting the amount of bandwidth a node uses? I wanna actually be able to utilize this functionality.
any workaround?

1 Like

Yes. At least on the node level.
You may limit it on your router, but please do not go below a minimum requirements: Step 1. Understand Prerequisites - Storj Docs

So lets say i want a node to use max 3TB.

then what i do is i can limit it to 25 mbps - but then this whould not solve the problem? it will still be able to download quite alot within a month (theoritical)

I understand that maybe you have a limited data plan, or it costs you extra, or you are on Oracle VPS, but putting a hard cap to data transfer could make your node unresponsive to audits too, and you can get DQ.

2 Likes

i dont have a hard limit - but i have a data plan where the isp is providing me with 5g connection in my workshop - which has opened up the ability to give myself a new node location. port forwarding will not be an issue.

however the issue is that the isp has said “unlimited data” but there is a fair usage of a few TB’s pr month - and if you go above they will simply give me a call and i then need to adjust to their needs- which is fine. but i want to then make sure i can have a node running there that wont use up more than i desire. i hope i makes sense.

also - it might not need to be a hard cap - as i can go a little over fair usage - they said thats not an issue - but at for example 1-3tb i might wanna “stop” the node from getting more ingress.
i thought of just increasing the “max” storage by a few hundreds gb every month - but then again stuff can get deleted.

2 Likes

So, not unlimited. Because using unlimited amount of data on unlimited data plan is pretty fair. It can’t be unlimited because spectrum is limited and very expensive. I would not host node on a cellular internet. It’s probably Ok to use it as failover temporarily ( I do that, works fairly well)

The required 25mbps upstream you have to provide translates to 8TB/month the node has to be able to utilize. Most don’t right now, but they can, as the data and customer base grows. And this is just upstream, minimum you shall provide. So this is a no-go right there.

If you have to host node at the workshop that is perhaps some distance from your house perhaps the radio links are a solution. Ubiquiti makes some

1 Like

i hear what you are saying - and i do agree to an extend. lets adress a few points:

no - not unlimited and they have been “honest” about it from the start - because they know that i know what i am talking about when i call them. But yes they use “unlimited” as a marketing purpose.

i actually had another isp with 5g and they really promised REAL unlimited 5g connection. i then setup alot of my own equipment, one node, and a server for a friend and a bunch of things. one month it got out of hand and i used 25TB from that provider on a 5g connection that was indeed supposed to be “unlimited” - and they shut me down on a friday at 15 a clock. i justifyied that i was using the product as they themself had intended (marketing it as an alternative to fiber - lol) but nah - i was a too expensive customer and they cancelled me.

so now i have this other provider - they give me quite a few tb’s a month for an extremely competetive price. so i want to give it a go.

i dont belive 5g is an issue - where i live its crazzzy fast - like 14-28ms to closests servers and 400-700mbps with okla speedtest - so plenty fast.

so maybe i will setup a node and just allocate 1-2 tb at the start - and then slowly increase its size in config and keep an eye on deletions. should not be tooo hard.

also radio links is a nogo - there is only 800 meters from my apartment to the workshop - but there is alot of buildings inbetween and the workshop is a basement facing the other way. and i cant do jack shit outside of my rented room :wink: also the reason a prober fiber line is a no go - alot of rules here in denmark :slight_smile:

2 Likes

5G is never an issue regarding speed. But. Cellular operators do not like persons like you (and me, to be honest…), because we can use an “unfair” amount of data (it’s their description of unfair, but they promised the unlimited access!), so… Do not use 5G if possible and use something like a StarLink, if the fiber is not available in your location (even the StarLink is not available in my location still… unlike 5G, which is amazing, I never have had such speeds at home, not only in the fields - I’m “traveling”…).

Thanks for the Answer! And Yea i agree.

But they promised me i could use 5TB no issue. So i am gonna attempt this :slight_smile:

And did they actually allow you to use that?
My operator is canceled my Unlimited contract… Yeap, read a fine script with a “fair usage, bla, bla, bla”

They actually did, i had a Call with a techinician who talk to the ceo while on the phone with me - and there is nothing in writting staying i cant use that amount.
Its a very Small Company :wink:

1 Like

Happy you…
But well, we all depends on our ISPs and their limitations at the end.

1 Like

Note that Starlink only lets you control your own ports if you sign up for a much more expensive upgrade plan

1 Like

Damn… well, as always. Read the terms and conditions in the fine print…
By the way, they are not available in my current location (Thailand), and this is sometimes affecting me… Yes, there is 5G everywhere (THANK YOU!! unlike Germany… offtopic…), but it’s not free (I would like to call it like that in comparisons…)

Maybe US is on the right path with this?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/04/fcc-restores-net-neutrality-rules-that-ban-blocking-and-throttling-in-3-2-vote/