Can you be a storage node operator if you don’t want to open or forward ports?

Just to be clear: do NOT give me criticism about port security and/or how to port forward. I never asked you for that.
Anyways, ^ my question is the title.

1 Like

Hi there!

The simple answer is no, you cannot. At some point, the devs may find a way to have UPnP work for the Storage Node software in a consistent manner despite it being a router-side issue, but even with the v2 network, opening ports was always the recommended path.

Veddy

6 Likes

@vedalken254 is right, it’s not possible right now. Out of curiosity, why are you asking?

1 Like

Ok thanks :slight_smile: is there a way to port forward through a vpn or something? I just cannot open ports through my firewall. Is there a way to still be able to participate in the node operator?

It’s possible but the VPN provider needs to support port forwarding, so make sure you pick one that supports it.

I would think the VPN tunnel might add a lot of latency, so your success rates for uploads might not be very good.

If you do try it out, keep an eye on your logs, and then report back how it goes.

1 Like

That’s a fair assumption, though there are some good vpns out there these days that are pretty good at limiting that impact. Don’t use a VPN that surfaces far away from you though.

@BrightSilence I’ve used a few in testing, but never one that did not have a large impact on latency. Of course living in Canada it is hard to find one that is not based in the US. If you do find one with an end point in Canada it is in either Toronto or Vancouver. But I’d love to hear the OPs feedback after doing this.

Alright, I will try to test a VPN out with port forwarding. I’m considering using OpenVPN on a remote AWS server, but that will require a lot of looking up stuff because I have never set up a VPN on OpenVPN with port forwarding, but I have set up a few OpenVPN servers without port forwarding. I will report back here when I get results. Also, if you know another VPN service that runs on a VPS, please, let me know or post it here. Thanks so much for the help and support :smiley:

aptitude

1 Like

You could run a VPN server on an VPS with a static IP. I’ve done that in the past to route traffic into my home connection. Not sure that would be any better for latency, but if you can find one close to your home it might work better.

I also did it with pfSense creating a IPSec tunnel, and routed all traffic through the tunnel. I stopped doing that as my VPS server was too far away and added a lot of latency.

Interesting I was curious to try a node out and have got one running behind a double NAT firewall and VPN. latency is a bit slow but its all possible with TCP tunneling. I’ve used ngrok to make a single port tunnel to my local system and just need to set the ngrok endpoint in my storJ node config to start it up. Dashboard is showing data, bandwidth and storage being used despite double firewalls I don’t have control of. So, you might want to look at various TCP tunneling solutions, takes 2 seconds though with ngrok to try it out.