Can you use a 500gb hard drive?

The minimum to create a storj node is 550Gb.

Can I use a 500Gb hard drive?
Give it a capacity of 450Gb in the node. it will work?

I have a 2.5" laptop hard drive and I would like to use it for storj.

It will work, but you won’t gain much from it.

You will see a warning in the log :point_down:

Disk space is less than requested.

IMO it’s not worth the trouble using a 500GB drive.

2 Likes

OK.

I’ll think about it.

I think you can start from this, if you have plan in future expand it. then after you just copy data to new place and then you can rise.

Its against tos, minimum 550gb.
Does not make sense anyway.
What pc do you have already running 24/7?

1 Like

The PC is working 24 hours.

what type is it ? specs? case?

the 500GB minimum is a recommendation, people can certainly use a 500GB disk if they want.

however the issue is that, there isn’t much to earn due to the power costs.
so if one does want to use a 500GB disk, then one should either do it for fun / experience or have very cheap power.

:white_check_mark: 8 TB and a maximum of 24 TB of available space per node
Minimum of 550 GB with no maximum of available space per node

this are the hardware requirements, 8TB is recommended

500GB per node minimum requirements, sorry

i know what it says, but we have talked about this years ago with the storjlings and was informed that it is recommendations, most SNO’s knows this.

its actually a bit of a standing joke… that there are only recommendations.
because StorjLabs can’t really control what you do anyways.

but yeah i did once also believe it was requirements.

You can do it, but you have to change a setting in the config or run command to allow assigned space below 500GB. Look for storage2.monitor.minimum-disk-space in the config.yaml.

The setup program won’t let me create the new node.
It tells me that the unit has 500Gb.
The minimum required is 550Gb.

Yes, the Windows installer will not allow you to use 500GB drive.

When trying to boot the node with a capacity of 450Gb it does not boot. I always get this error:

2023-08-18T10:58:55+02:00 ERROR piecestore:monitor Total disk space is less than required minimum {“bytes”: 500000000000}
2023-08-18T10:58:55+02:00 INFO pieces:trash emptying trash started {“Satellite ID”: “12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs”}
2023-08-18T10:58:55+02:00 ERROR services unexpected shutdown of a runner {“name”: “piecestore:monitor”, “error”: “piecestore monitor: disk space requirement not met”, “errorVerbose”: “piecestore monitor: disk space requirement not met\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/monitor.(*Service).Run:134\n\tstorj.io/storj/private/lifecycle.(*Group).Run.func2.1:87\n\truntime/pprof.Do:44\n\tstorj.io/storj/private/lifecycle.(*Group).Run.func2:86\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:75”}
2023-08-18T10:58:55+02:00 ERROR nodestats:cache Get pricing-model/join date failed {“error”: “context canceled”}
2023-08-18T10:58:55+02:00 ERROR gracefulexit:blobscleaner couldn’t receive satellite’s GE status {“error”: “context canceled”}
2023-08-18T10:58:55+02:00 FATAL Unrecoverable error {“error”: “piecestore monitor: disk space requirement not met”,

If I set the node to 500Gb the node boots without any problem.
There is some blockage in the configuration.

I have moved the information from my 500Gb hard drive for nothing.

I have moved the node to a larger hard drive that is almost full. I hope the HDD doesn’t get slow on reads, which I use for other uses.