Cant create bucket with uplink

Hi all,

I can’t create a bucket using uplink. I receive this error after inputting node address (tried both ports 7778 and 28967, not sure which one is).

Error: uplink: uplink: protocol error: unknown rpc: “/metainfo.Metainfo/ProjectInfo”

Thanks in advance.

Hello @crossplatformdev,
Welcome to the forum!

Neither first nor the second, you even do not need to specify a node, unless it’s a your own satellite.
Please, read this instruction, how to upload your first object: https://documentation.tardigrade.io/getting-started/uploading-your-first-object

Hi Alexey,

I want to use my own node.

I enter

nodeid@127.0.0.1:7778

and later
nodeid@127.0.0.1:28967

from the node itself, then I receive message above after accepting sharing anonymous data.

Thank you.

It’s impossible. The uplink will request from the satellite 110 nodes, you can’t select which ones. You can only request them and then use.
The NodeID, address and port in the uplink setup command is a satellite, not the storage node.

For the development you can use storj-sim: https://github.com/storj/storj/wiki/Test-network , there you will control your own test network with 10 nodes.

Could you please clarify this?

How can I create my own satellite, in order to use my own storage I provided as a SNO?

This isn’t how it works, If you planned to use your own storage as a SNO would be 100% unpaid. You would first need to create a satellite then add your satellite to the trusted then create storagenodes to upload too. This doesn’t work with only one storagenode because the files get split so then the satellite would be confused what to do next.

No way to do so. Even workaround doesn’t exist.
This is possible only in storj-sim locally, but it will be a separate local network, but even then you will upload to 10 local test nodes.

Please, elaborate, what do you want to do?

Oh I see.

Well, actually what I was planning was using my own storage, in my node, to upload some files locally, in a private bucket and with no redundancy.

As most of the time the node is not 100% full, it would be nice to being able to spare some space for personal use. In case you were running out of space, you should be able to delete it to free space for ingress.

But I was not sure about this were possible, so I came to ask.

In other words:

Why I should pay storj using tardigrade If I just want a local, non-redundant bucket of my own node? Yeah I know, this case of use was never intended. But it could be nice to being able to use your own node as a non-redundant bucket, and letting uplink to connect and upload to it.

Sadly I see there is more infraestructure needed than a single node. But as far as I understand, network redundancy can be configured (you got 110 for one and 10 for test), so:

What about mounting a satellite, with redundancy 1, and just trust it in your node, connected both to a separate network?

Thanks,
Elías A.

Even better:

What about mounting a private separate storj network, with one satellite, and more than one node connected to it, and a redundancy factor different than 1?

If that were possible I’ll do it.

So I could upload personal data to this network, having redundancy, and not necessarilly sharing it with anybody.

The possibility of uploading files locally or forwarding some port, to this network would be awesome for me, as it would solve perfectly storing secure backups, vm images, and other large files.

Would this be possible?

Thank you,
Elías A.

Why do not store files directly on your drive if you do not need reliability, speed and encryption?

You of course can configure the test network as you want, all configs are placed in your local paths.
For the Windows it’s $env:AppData\Storj (PowerShell notation) for the Linux it’s ~/.local/share/storj

I just do not see any use cases for that except easy development for the Tardigrade.
What the point to store backups locally without a resilience?

If you want to have

you can use a Tardigrade with FileZilla or duplicati or even just uplink or rclone
Since you are the SNO, you can use your payouts as a payment method for Tardigrade and have a 10% discount because of that.

1 Like

Hi Alexey,

Indeed that is that I ended using last weekend: reduce storj dedicated disk space and mount a Samba service.

I was wrong about how tardigrade works, my fault. You should specify in the docs that

nodeid@ip:port does not refer to a node instance, but a satellite one.

That was the point that mislead me.