Cant get Port 28967 open

Hi All

thanks in advance for any assistance. I have always been interested in storj so I have set up a node to play and evaluate. Try as I may I cannot get the port to open and I am beginning to get a little confused. The node is running fine it just shows as offline. I am using no ip for a static address and my router has DDNS. I have an external IP that is working but port check shows the port as being closed. I have turned off AVG and also set up rules in Windows firewall to allow the port, not sure what to do next…

Welcome to the community! I hope you have a good time here :slight_smile:

Have you set up the Port Forwarding on your router?

You need to forward the port to your Node’s internal IP address.

I think I may have the ports confused
thankyou for your prompt reply

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> netstat -a

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP 0.0.0.0:135 Oakey:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:445 Oakey:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:5040 Oakey:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:5357 Oakey:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:28967 Oakey:0 LISTENING

try checking that the port is actually looks open from the internet’s perspective, don’t forget your internet runs through your ISP which can cause all sorts of issues.

https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

It is showing the port as closed. I am wondering if it is AVG anti virus that is refusing to open the port

so disable it for a bit… first priority will be to make it work… when it works you can start trying to make it perfect and break it again :smiley:

but do remember to turn your firewall or whatever back on again so it works correctly and safely when you are done…

2 Likes

Even with AVG disabled it is still showing the port as closed,
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Content “$env:ProgramFiles/Storj/Storage Node/storagenode.log” -Tail 20 -Wait
2021-06-28T08:58:06.961+1000 ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“Satellite ID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6”, “attempts”: 9, “error”: “ping satellite: failed to dial storage node (ID: 12rNwGzuqvaaoTRVBvoFjSqX8Mha4vQ19JR8BHQYDrDHwhMpeEb) at address borgdata.hopto.org:28967: rpc: dial tcp 49.182.12.70:28967: i/o timeout”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite: failed to dial storage node (ID: 12rNwGzuqvaaoTRVBvoFjSqX8Mha4vQ19JR8BHQYDrDHwhMpeEb) at address borgdata.hopto.org:28967: rpc: dial tcp 49.182.12.70:28967: i/o timeout\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:141\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:95\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:152\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:71\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57”}

if the port is open in the router / the isp allows the data hitting the port on their side to be routed to your router.
then it would show up on online port scanning tools as being open on the storagenode port.

this means, since your router configuration looks legit, that most likely your ISP doesn’t allow for your to map ports, this could be for various reasons… like that you are connected to the internet on an IPv6 network rather than IPv4.

so long storjy short most likely an ISP issue.
for something like 5$ a month you can most often buy / lease a fixed ip address from your ISP which will allow your router to control your ports.

just keep in mind it will take a while before your storagenode will be vetted and actually start earning more than this expense.

Hi thankyou for your help

I have just got the node online but with a twist. I have two networks at my home one is a 4g connection and one is a landline. I was testing on the 4g connection as that is where I mine from in the shed and it wouldn’t work. When I went to the landline where I intend to permanently house the node and repeated the steps it went online as soon as I restarted the node. So I am extremely happy that I am now online. The next problem now is how to connect multiple drives in JBOD. I have some large drives in a file server that were mining POC coins that I am interested in deploying. I am considering some sort of raid but redundancy is supposed to be provided by the network and I will loose capacity.

Thanks all for the advice

tho it shouldn’t be required redundancy i think is wise… often not because the disks actually fail, but because errors can cause your node to be DQ years later…
so raid is without a doubt a good thing… but raid is also expensive in upkeep and setup.

it takes a long time to make profits when starting with running a storagenode these days.
so setting up a big raid solution might not be the way to go right off the bat.

takes maybe 6 months to vet a node before it’s starts to get ingress equal to all other nodes, so in the first 6 months don’t expect the node to earn more than 4-5$ pr month max by leasing out something like 1.5 TB
and really you will most likely get a $ or two over the first 3 months and maybe a few hundred GB

so really upgrading your capacity doesn’t really do any thing.

the easiest way to connect more drives is to create more storagenodes, or use raid… tho keep in mind raid will give you an overall lower iops for the same hardware.

hi thankyou for the time saving advice. Is it possible to run multiple nodes on one machine?

I am really drawn towards raid for a number of reasons because it will protect me from loss in a number of ways. I have been POC mining for some time with JBOD and I want to try Storj to diversify and get some regular income. If I am going to spend years of effort to find a machine a home I don’t want it to be disqualified. I only have 5tb disk on at the moment on an old laptop with a new battery so effectively it is a UPS for a few hours. I knew it would take time to build. If It keeps working I may build a raid, mirror the existing single drive and expand that way. I just want to play with some of these linux distros like unraid and FreeNas in home grown servers that I have built with nvme drives as cache etc. I have already paid for all of the drives so ROI is not really an issue but I cant see the problem waiting more than 1 year for ROI when Iron Wolf pro disks have 5 year warranty.

running multiple nodes on windows might be difficult (not sure)… on linux it’s not a problem.

personally i find random errors more often causes errors rather than direct disk failures.
also you can use the capacity for other stuff even tho it’s allocated for storj, so long as it isn’t used it can be used for other stuff.

so quite different from POC, ofc there are advantages for both…

That’s an interesting thought I could set up a raid array and mine the spare capacity while reducing it as the node filled up. I still intend to mine POC as well.

thats one of the advantages of storj, the space leased out is paid for in dollar value.
and anything else… well thats up to you… the node should stop automatically if it runs out of space… but i can’t say i’ve tested it, so i would recommend using the max capacity setting to ensure it doesn’t run out…

but aside from that ingress is very predictable, so its very easy to allocate a few months in advance as space becomes needed…

you talking Chia or is burst still worth doing?
or are you on something else entirely for POC?

Mining Burst, BHD and LHD of the same plots is hardly worth it, profit is long gone. Burst never really recovered from the big circus of blockchain attacks. I have been playing with Chia but again the roll out of Chia with out pool mineable plots has been an error. The Chia netspace is now at 28 exb and still rising and only returning around 2.80 per tb per month. Its early days I think it could be a good coin, and I have always had a soft spot for POC, its a very underrated way to secure a blockchain I think storj will return more in the long run because it provides an actual service, I view it as bread and butter money to supplement my GPU mining. I try to keep my finger in a few pies to stay profitable.

2 Likes

theta edge node is also not to bad, nothing huge… but a drop in the bucket and very low in resource demand, one gets some transcoding and streaming tasks from time to time… tho one will need to disable folding at home on gpu’s and limit it’s cpu usage for it to make sense.

very simple to setup and maintain

It is more likely will not work, since they doesn’t provide a public IP, you always will be behind mobile operator’s NAT. You can make it work only if they provide a static public IP, then you need a router which is able to forward port from 4G.

The DDNS will not give you a public IP, it can help only if you have a public but dynamic IP.

Please, do not use JBOD and any other RAID0-like technology (LVM, striped, etc.). One disk is lost - the whole node is lost too.
I would not recommend to use RAID5 too:

Use each disk for the separate node with own generated identity signed by own authorization token. Do not clone identity, otherwise it will be disqualified almost instantly, because for the satellite it would be the same node which managed to lost all data.
See also RAID vs No RAID choice

Thankyou all for this information I have been diligently reading it and trying to absorb it. Some of it is quite complicated. RAID vs individual nodes has many nuances. My node is happily working away which is always satisfying.

This a very interesting project that I was unaware of and I have been reading their website. You mention GPU in this project. Is the GPU doing any work while streaming video? If so I would like to deploy obsolete GPU’s and repurpose them. I see they also have master nodes as well which I will investigate. Thankyou for this link.

Very interesting, it seems that raid6 is required if you really want to be redundant with your node and this involves some loss in capacity. I am trying to understand now how to deploy multiple nodes and keep track of them all. In the long term I want to start deploying all this in linux. What is your opinion on running node/s on unraid so I can use a mix of drive sizes? I read that unraid is good with docker?

theta want to do edge compute, but mostly they are currently a CDN with a bit of transcoding on the side.

if the gpu is used for the transcoding i am unsure of, certainly not required.
the workload is quite light, aside from folding at home which it defaults to at full speed.

You can use it, however, do not use Community Storj application - it has bugs and could lead to disqualification, use the pure CLI method instead: CLI Install - Storj Docs (you can skip the section with Docker setup, because you will install it in the unraid UI).