Change node linux version

Hi!

for other reasons not related with storj proyect I’m in need to change my actual node OS raspbian to linux ubuntu.

¿is there any posibillity that I can migrate my node from raspbian to ubuntu? ¿or I have to starts over a new node?

thanks

There both linux based so if you are running your node off a usb drive and OS on sdcard you should be fine to just install a new OS and make sure your identity and storagenode data are on the same drive so it will be a easy switch.

I would only question the decision to switch to ubuntu. It is a great OS for desktop systems. You get the latest version of many useful tools. The downside is that you might catch an unstable version. For unattended 24/7 systems, I would recommend debian instead. You don’t get the latest versions for all the tools but you get stable versions that should not cause any problems.

1 Like

why would you want to go from rasbian to ubuntu anyways … i assume you are talking about the ubuntu server here…

ubuntu is based on debian, so 99% of everything that works on ubuntu you can straight up install on rasbian or so i would assume… even tho there might be some dependencies and such voodoo that would need to be dealt with…

so i don’t really think you need to change to ubuntu anyways, ofc there maybe some sort of larger reasons for it that i’m unaware of, something that maybe difficult to install on rasbian, tho i cannot imagine what… but that may just be a failure of imagination on my part.

might be difficult to have the same stability as debian / rasbian has but i’m sure ubuntu server isn’t to far behind.

only reason i can see for using ubuntu is gui, but not sure i would want that on a RPI anyways… because of the requirements it would put on the RPI hardware… but i suppose they are pretty powerful these days, the RPI 4 or whatever

but ubuntu server is also terminal based like rasbian is i assume… tho ubuntu server since being made for regular servers i suppose, might have a lot more bulk / bloat built into it…
without a doubt i would stay on rasbian if at all possible… its made for running a RPI, don’t kid yourself… a RPI might be like a workstation / server, but it has limitations you want to start treating it like one… or i would think so… even tho they are very fancy. and getting more impressive all the time.

thanks for the answers,just finished doing the work and seems to be online and working fine :slight_smile:

let’s see if continues that way

1 Like

Glad to hear it appears to have gone well. I actually just had somewhat of a similar experience…instead of going from raspberry pi OS to Ubuntu, I was going starting with a new raspberry pi OS micro sd card. So same machine, same data drive, just new sd card as I was attempting to migrate the OS to a new ssd drive that I wanted to boot from USB.

The issue I ran into was that when I initially set up the RPi, it was purchased as a kit that came with a micro SD card with NOOBs on it (versus just flashing my own card) and apparently there’s some incompatibility with that and using the USB boot option (as found here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=281278)

So what I had to do was flash a new micro SD card with fresh Raspberry Pi OS, initialize the machine with the new card, re-install docker, etc. for Storj, and then just re-start the node with the exact same docker command, and it started right up.

Then after that I stopped the node and went through the steps to set up USB boot and then migrate the OS to the SSD and restarted the machine and the node and all working great.

for your question and @SGC

the problem is that I use 64 bit O.S version of raspbian for the node,but recently discovered the 64 bit “versión” of raspbian really can’t execute arm64,so is something weird that I really can’t understand now,but seems like a 32 bits system faking to be 64 bits system

anyway I needed to run a wireguard server and for that I wanted to do it for 64 bits so will run smoothly,then I changed to the only full 64 bits OS that si currently in raspberry linux ubuntu 20.4 lts 64 bits

I could install any other 64 bits linux distro,but since cannonical has put an efford to test and make special raspberry pi isos I decided on ubuntu to improve estability

anyway the only thing odd I’ve discovered it that seems like my audit logs have been short of “reset”

I was with more than 140 sccesfull logs and now when I see my logs trought this script

appear to be only 13 succesfull adutis

¿any idea why this?

Its based on your logs so if you restarted with a new docker the log is gone, less you redirect the log to another location this would be why.

you sure it’s not the other way around…

you might need to run 32bit because you are a RPI 2 and thus may need to run a 32bit OS, for whatever you need to do to work.

seems any RPI older than like 3 or maybe also some of the newer but smaller versions will carry an old arm processor without 64bit support.

you cannot emulate 64bit… 64bit can do 32bit with ease, but 32bit can never get the advantages of 64bit and it would run so slow even if it was able to run

still sounds odd to me… but it’s easy to be confused when one hasn’t really used arm… :smiley:

I don’t think that’s true?

1 Like

took me way to long to spot that… lol you might be right

No,it’s not the other way around.

try to install an arm64 package in a raspberry pi with raspbian and the 64bit enabled…
is gonna tell you exactly THIS

“architecture of package arm64 does not match system (armhf)”

The pi 4 doesn’t need the sd card anymore.
64 bit ubuntu is 10x quicker to create an identity than 32bit raspian.
The gui is optional in most popular linux based OS - well android would be weird without a gui

seems like you might be able to use Aarch64 instead, because it has a 64bit FPU
a apparently the arch kernel can manage running 32bit instructions will still using 64bit for heavy processing.

apperently RPI 3 does not or did not in atleast some revisions support a full 64bit instruction set.
also seems that Raspbian or Raspberry Pi OS they really know how to name those things… doesn’t support the 64bit FPU

however if you go into the Raspberry Pi website and click ubuntu server as 3rd party OS
https://ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi

here you select the 32bit download for the RPI 3… and yes your CPU has a 32bit instruction set
but its FLOATING POINT UNIT seems to be 64bit… that isn’t the same as a 64bit cpu

a FPU is what in Yee Oldie Days would have been called a coprocessor, and chip which would help a cpu do math basically.

Who would have thunk…

Is that generally true? I mean are 64bit OS faster than 32bit OS?
64bit ones do use more RAM though, I believe?

the simple answer is yes, 64bit is 10times faster at some "things"computation… not all tho…
and not always easy to guess what will be faster… but basically the reason 64bit is better is that it can use bastically larger numbers… instead of having the split them up in to 32bit chunks

put very plainly…

that being said, more complex architectures usually also introduce more latency… but from 32bit to 64bit i believe the latency added is so low that it’s practically irrelevant.

it might also mean that the 64bit processor / FPU might be slightly slower for doing 32bit work… but so little that its a few % maybe max 10% for serial computing, ofc then often if that was a problem… they would just add a second 64bit FPU in the CPU

so practically irrelevant… :smiley:

no a 64bit OS does not… atleast in any practical level use more RAM, 64bit instruction set means 64bit memory allocations addresses or whatever they are called… thus you can have immensely more memory because with 32bit addresses you essentially run out of the ability to keep track of all the CAS and RAS to call memory blocks as memory gets larger… i believe the 32bit memory limit was 4gb maybe

which would fall in line with RPI 4 having an 8gb option and it also being one of the first pure 64bit versions of the RPI

no, just the identity creation and only on arm

I would not create an identity on an arm processor 64bit or not it takes way to long.

I’ve created 3 identity on arm64 processors,and average time was like ¿half an hour?

1 Like