Change node windows 10 to linux

973/5000

Hello storj community!
I am in the middle of a project and I have a question.
Turns out I have a node mounted on W10. Now I want to extend the node to a new server with more capacity.
However, I have found that I cannot make a partition, larger than 2TB in Windows 10 (due to MBR partition type).
Therefore, I have thought about installing Windows 10, with GPT format on the new server. When trying, I could not because it does not have UEFI support.
Already desperate, the only option I have found is to switch to Linux (which if it allows this type of larger partitions I think I understand / will do tests). I have no problem with this and I like the idea but there are some doubts.
First: Can I pass the entire DB of the node (in windows 10 of the old PC) to the new server in Linux and the keys?
Second: Can you use the latest version of Linux 20.04 LTS higher than the one recommended at https://documentation.storj.io/v/alpha/getting-started/setup-a-storage-node?

Thank you.

Yes, you can copy the data and identity to the Linux. Make sure to copy both - data and identity.
Do not run both copies - it will be disqualified very fast, the identity must be unique in the network.
If you used the Windows GUI version, then you should place the data to the storage subfolder of the folder on the Linux disk. For example, if the destination disk would be mounted to /mnt/storj, then you should create a new folder, for example - storagenode, and create a new subfolder storage inside it. Next, for example, your source disk is d:\storagenode, then you should put a content of the d:\storagenode inside the /mnt/storj/storagenode/storage.
In the docker run command you will specify the /mnt/storj/storagenode (please note - without storage!) as your data folder, i.e. --mount type=bind,source=/mnt/storj/storagenode,destination=/app/config

There are a lot of ways how to copy data from Windows to Linux. I would suggest to use the rsync from the WSL on Windows, you can read more there: https://documentation.storj.io/resources/faq/migrate-my-node

1 Like