Changing ISP Checklist

Good day all,

Hoping to confirm that I’ve identified all actions to take after changing ISP, which is scheduled to happen within the next few hours. I’m pretty excited, I’m switching over to synchronous gigabit fiber connection from 200mbps down and 20mbps up.

First, obviously I’ll want to shutdown my nodes before I disconnect my current modem and connect the new one to my router.

Then after I get everything hooked up, I’m planning on the following:

1. Determine new public IP
  2. Update No-IP hostname with new public IP
  3. I’m planning on using the same router (Linksys Velop mesh system) so I’m assuming the static IPs already configured in that for my two nodes will remain unchanged. Although, regardless I’ll go ahead and verify that on the nodes themselves.

After that, I think I should be ready to go, right?

Anything I missed or other suggestions?

Appreciate any helpful input!

Sounds about right. If you are running the DUC software, or using your router to update the no-ip hostname, you shouldn’t need to manually update the IP. So as long as your new modem can be put in a bridge mode, or if you use PPPoE on your router, there shouldn’t be any issues. If your new modem simply serves your router a private IP address (I find this the common default, for example 192.168.2.xxx), you will be double NAT’ed and will have issues with port forwarding.

Otherwise your network should just see the change as if you were simply assigned a new external IP.

1 Like

No PoE used here.

So just got things hooked back up, and had to ultimately reset my mesh router system. I think I set the static addresses all back up, and they remained the same. Although, I think I’m having issues with my nodes…

I updated the No IP public address and started the nodes, but this is what I’m seeing…

Then nothing else is happening in the logs

Use a cable, don’t use WiFi.
Check Internet accessiblity and firewall from the SN machine. Check port forwarding. Use an external service to check for open port from the Internet side. Check that your hostname does resolve to your IP address.

I am using all hardwired connections.

I think it has to do with a port forwarding issue. Having a hard time remembering how I set this up last time. Although I think I’ve reached the end of my patience with it today. Hopefully I can figure it out and this isn’t all going to waste. Have about 11 to 12TB of storj data…would be a bummer if I can’t get my nodes back online.

Also, I think what @baker said might be part of the issue too. The new fiber modem that was installed appears to also be a “router” since I can hard wire directly to the data port on that modem and be connected online. So I have that modem connected to a wifi router, which is then connected to a switch that’s connected to wiring that connects to wall ports around the house. Then in my office, I have a wire from the wall port to a switch on my desk. So maybe I’m “double NAT’ed” and that’s causing the issue? I’ll have to play around with it after everyone’s off the wifi.

This is what I have set up in my linksys router at the moment, that doesn’t appear to be working:
Static IP setup:

Port Forwarding:

Edit #2:
So looking whatismyip.com, I’m seeing one public IP address, but when looking at my router configuration page (and on No IP) I’m seeing a different public IP address…

I cannot help much. But have you checked with your provider that port forwarding is possible with this new fiber connection?
Here we have some providers that use something called DS-Lite. It would mean that you are “NATted” on the carrier level and share your public IP with many other customers. If this is the case you would need to get your own ip4 address assigned. I know that carriers can do this but charge for it, either by upgrading you to a different (business) plan or charge an additional monthly fee.

i think the telemetry enabled should and that it checks the clock means it has network connection…

i would go through the entire route a second time… double check everything is right… sometimes a wrong letter or number slips in and spoils the whole thing…

ofc if both nodes are affected and you didn’t use copy paste… then i suppose it might not be a slip of the finger.

are you sure you got the public ip right?

also you can use online port scanners to verify that the ports are open…
that atleast tells you the router is accessible and you have opened the ports… then you just need to figure out where from the router and to the storagenode it goes wrong…

and ofc shut down everything and power it up again… can sometime remove the weirdest of bugs… something stuff just don’t want to work… but is correct… shut it down… pull the power cables give it a good 10 count and try powering everything up again…

but the full shutdown is a long shot… but works often when i am pulling my hair out and have verified everything is correctly configured like 50 times…

Is this on your own router or on the ISPs router?
From your description you have 2 routers, so you either need to put your own router in DMZ or forward the ports on both. Make sure you assign that router a static WAN IP. If you’re seeing an IP starting with 192 or 10, you probably have dual NAT locally. In that case putting your own router in DMZ or forwarding the ports on your ISPs router as well would solve the issue.

If you’re seeing a different WAN IP on your ISPs router from the public IP, it’s most likely a CGN (Carrier Grade NAT). Those IPs usually (but not always) start with 100. In that case I would contact the ISP and tell them you need a public IP. Don’t attempt to explain Storj to them, that would just be a distraction. Someone else recently suggested telling them you need to be able to access your IP camera. :slight_smile: That would require a public IP as well and they would immediately understand what you need. Most ISPs will switch you to a public IP when you ask. You can clarify that it doesn’t have to be static. If you ask for a static IP they will almost certainly try to upsell you to commercial connections. Since DDNS can solve dynamic IPs, static isn’t needed for Storj. But public is.

Can you post the configuration page for your Internet/WAN settings on your router? Anonymize any personal information. It would be helpful to see what IP / DNS servers your modem is providing to your linksys router. If you can determine the model name/number of your ISP provided modem, that would help too.

I also think you should remove the Static Routing rules in your linksys setup. You should only need port forwarding rules.

1 Like

Appreciate all of the help everyone.

I’ve already gone ahead and called the new ISP and requested they set me up with a static IP. From what I can tell from their website and other forums about the ISP, they do use a carrier level NAT and the only way I can gain access for port forwarding and other “advanced settings” on the new setup is by them assigning me a static IP. At this point I’ve been unsuccessful to access the new fiber modem/router that they installed to view any configuration.

They’re going to try and have it set up by tomorrow or the next day, and I’ll try to get nodes back up then.

2 Likes

If you can get a static IP, that’s great, but remember if they give you any stink about that, you only need a public IP. Dynamic is just fine if you use DDNS. As long as it’s a public IP you should be good.

They were happy to give me a static IP, it typically costs an extra $10/month, but they threw it in for free for a couple of years. I think I also found out that it will help with my plex server at the house that I stream remotely when I travel (although not doing much of that these days) as well as family members will stream off of it from different states.

2 Likes

That’s pretty nice of them! Just don’t start actually paying that $10 when this expires.

1 Like

saw this great video about, how to setup a fairly secure remote access setup for your home server…
wendel rules xD

I got the static IP activated today, and then after figuring out I also needed to change my run command to include that instead of the DDNS address, I got my nodes back up and running! appreciate everyone’s input and help diagnosing the problem I found myself in.

4 Likes