Changing values on a running node container

New to running a node, my first and only node for the moment has been running well, I used the following article and the commands listed to create the docker container and get it started up:

setup(linux): Storage Node - Node Operator

I did not know at the time the string for -p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002 would limit accessing the web panel, I can get to the CLI panel just fine, but would like to skip connecting to the node and just use my browser to see how the little guy is doing so I would like to change the above string to be -p 14002:14002 instead per this doc:

dashboard: docs storj site/node/setup/cli/dashboard
( sorry, cant post more than 2 links being a n00b )

While researching I read it is possible to change the values of a running node by stopping the container, removing it and then rerun it using the wanted values per this article:

updating node values: https://docs.storj.io/node/resources/faq/how-do-i-change-my-parameters-such-as-payout-address-allotted-storage-space-and-bandwidth

In the setup guide, the first link, it states “The setup step must be performed only once. If a node has already been set up, running with the SETUP flag will result in failure.”

Just to make sure I do this right and do not cause issues, is it correct if I stop the container and rm it per the doc above, then do I issue the running the node commands without 127.0.0.1 as listed in the first article or do I need to run the setup commands first, but without the SETUP flag? I know from reading to leave the storj data folder alone and just update the container which is what I am aiming for, just change the container values, just want to make sure i dont goof anything up in the process.

Hello @node42 ,
Welcome to the forum!

Not exactly right. You need to stop the container, then remove then run it back with all your parameters include changed ones. You doesn’t need to run a setup step more than once for entire node’s life. So, if you did setup once - you should not do it in the second time. Use the step Running the storagenode.
I would recommend to put your full docker run command to the shell script - this will allow you to run it back anytime later, when you would not remember how to do it :slight_smile:
Just use only plain text editors, for the terminal it’s nano or similar.
Wordprocessors will replace straight quotes to curly ones, double dashes to hyphens and so on, all these fancy symbols are wrong for the shell.

Since i knew copying that long command string thats actually what I did when I was setting it up, just dumped the commands for setup and run from that posted article above into a script and then just ran setup first and then run so I did already adjust it to not have 127.0.0.1 anymore. Trying to redo the container now, i will post if I get stuck, I am good with linux and docker, but new to storj

Any chance you can explain what you did to get it off local host? Brand new to docker and kinda ok with linux - but can’t figure out how to modify the config to get it so I can access the dashboard on the local network.

Hello @Bobwords ,
Welcome to the forum!

So I have read that page, I guess my question is how do you modify the program running in the container in docker? I’m new to it and it’s not something google has revealed yet. I tried just modifying the config file and replacing it from the GUI like an apache server and that’s not working. Tried killing the container and running the docker config command and that also failed.

Thanks for the quick answer BTW!

What setting do you want to modify?

Just trying to make it so I can access the dashboard on my nas running docker from other devices on my local network.

That does not say what setting you want to change.

-p 127.0.0.1:14002 to 14002:14002, I think.

Ah ok. You want to change the Docker runtime settings.

That’s easy: You need to stop your Docker container, then remove it and then execute the amended complete run command.

So it would look like this:

docker stop storagenodename
docker rm storagenodename
docker run...... new changed docker command.

Whenever you want to change values from this docker run command you would have to stop, remove and create new.

1 Like

Ah, the remove part I think is what I was missing. Thanks for the help - that did it!

Yes, that is because you could also simply stop a container and start it again with the same settings. For change you need rm.

1 Like

By the way, I think it’d be really cool if the node software had a way to reload settings without having to remove and restart the whole container, mainly because that would avoid restarting the excruciating pain of rebrowsing all the files, which takes a massive 30+ hours on my setup… :confounded:

Is this something being considered?

I don’t think so. The configuration is being read only on start.
If you can implement this feature - it would be appreciated.