Changing wallet address

I need to change my wallet address and the only article I saw was 3 years old. Is it still required to essentially uninstall the storj docker container and reinstall or is there an easier way like editing the docker container wallet address?

Hi @Pandemic ,

This is still the most recent documentation
How do I change values like wallet address or storage capacity? - Storj Docs

2 Likes

What happens if I just edit the container and update the address there?

You can do it and see for yourself. It’s much faster than asking on a forum.

Containers are disposable entities. I’m not sure why do you want to invent, test, and debug another way of doing things when an existing documented and supported approach exists.

2 Likes

No, I did do it. I’m just curious if anyone else has.

Inventing, testing, and debugging is hardly what I’d call pasting a new wallet address into the edit fields.

And that’s why you should stick to official documentation. I see at least three ways it can go wrong. (Does container cache initial setting? Does cmd docker argument take precedence over config file?) This all requires testing. And is entirely waste of time because containers are ephemeral by design.

It will not work, that is.
You must stop and remove the container and run it back, there is no workaround, the underlaying shell will read an environment variables ONLY on start.
I do not know, HOW you can update variables for the docker container without its recreating.

I mean, for files there are hacks, but. storagenode will not read the updated config, you need at least to restart it. But variables is a different thing, they are exposed to the shell in the container, and updating them with some undocumented ways will not update them for the running shell.

Just wanted to update this thread. Turns out if you edit the docker file and just put the new address in it works fine. I received a deposit to the new address three days ago.

3 Likes