Charged for egress but < 25 GB downloaded

Hello Storj World,

I have been with Storj a few months now. I transitioned from B2. I have a billing question.

I thought the first 25 GB egress was free, yet I am being charged for less than 25 GB. Also, the “free teir” part adds confusion so I believe I am being charged because perhaps I have gone over that?

In November I downloaded a 5 GB file to test a restore. Yet Storj reports as 13.5 GB (this may be due to multi-part download?); I am using rclone over s3 with vanila settings:

rclone copy storj:/bucket/file.tar /dir/dir/

Back to the question at hand…

Free teir says 100% used at $0.37

Just wanted to understand egress billing for when I download larger archives to test (especially reduce amount downloaded if I download 5GB but results in 13 GB)

November full invoice:

Many thanks

Hi ActiveNote,

Please send an email to support@storj.io and the team will assist you with this right away. We don’t generally handle billing issues in the forum so as to reduce any chances of private billing information being shared publicly.

Yes will do. Thought it was something easy I missed and would be good on forums for others.

I will contact them to ask.

Thanks

Please note that the support email address @Knowledge posted is actually for Node Operator support only. For Customer side support, note that we only offer this to customers who have already upgraded to a Pro Account. If you are a Pro Account customer, you may file your support ticket here.

4 Likes

Please note that your free tier coupon will cover only up to a total of $0.37 worth of usage, which can be any combination of storage, egress and segment fees. So if you used less than 25GB in egress but at the same time, had excess usage on the storage side (which appears to be the case from looking at your screenshot for your Project main) - you will be billed for the excess usage that cannot be covered by your free tier coupon.

Also please note that you will be charged for settled usage, and not what is initially alloted, which may be higher than the final settled amount. Also, the invoicing for November usage has not been done yet, and this month is not over yet, so if what you showed in the screenshot corresponds to November usage up to date, then these numbers can still change until the cut off at the end of November 30, 2023. The final amounts will not be shown until your invoice for November usage has actually been created (in the beginning of December.)

5 Likes

Depending on when you checked. When libuplink starts downloads it allocates the whole amount from the available egress. When the satellite receives signed orders from the nodes (up to 48h), it will be settled to the actual usage (for example, you interrupted download half a way, so you will be billed only for the half amount or what is already consumed).
If the time has passed more than 48h, and the usage is still greater, well, that’s mean that you downloaded several times, for example - have had retries.

Thanks for input. I will check on dashboard in a few days.
Only $0.11 for egress so nothing I am worried about.
I only store 510 GB

1 Like

Looks to me like you’re actually getting a better deal than the free 25GB storage and 25GB egress.

The 37 cents fully covers your egress and segment fees. And the remaining 16 cents for the free coupon covers 40GB of your storage bill. Storj is being relatively generous with the free tier coupon by not applying strict limits on storage and egress individually, but letting you spend it however you wish.

Also:
25*$0.007=$0.175 (for egress)
25*$0.004=$0.100 (for storage)
So the $0.37 includes a fairly generous margin for segment fee as well, which even though you store almost 20x the amount of free tier data, still covers your entire segment fee.

Hope that helps.

5 Likes

Thanks for explanation. Least I didn’t post with my actual username and email on here :slight_smile: ; don’t want to lose out!

1 Like

No worries, this is how it works for all customers. :smiley: You won’t lose those perks. It can be a little confusing at first, but everyone is actually getting a little more out of their free tier coupon once they expand into a paid account because of how it works with higher storage and egress limits.

3 Likes