Configuring 18tb node

I bought a 18tb hdd. I’m running ubuntu ext4.
Lsblk show me 16,4T of free space. I’m thinking to start the node with a 15T limit. Enough? Can I extend 1T more to 16?

Based on the 10% “rule”, the max safest would be around 14.7 TiB, so going with 15 would be a little stretch already and 16 could be too much. But going with 15 shouldn’t be a problem. Personally I would go even for 16, but I am a mad man :upside_down_face: who knows very little about downsides.

Remember that if you specify 15T in config, it will be 15 Terabytes, not Tebibytes.

As i konw Storj is using TB not TiB so storage value in your case would be 16.2TB
(18TB - 10% )

4 Likes

@Dali44 has got the right answer here. You can use df --si to see actual available space in SI TB units. It should just say 18TB. So assigning 16.2TB should be perfect. Once the node is full, you can probably extend that further as with disks of this size, keeping 1.8TB free is a little wasteful. But at that point just increase it slowly and keep monitoring usage so you don’t come near filling the HDD up. But for a start, yes, set it to 16.2TB.

3 Likes

thanks all! See you in 12months :slight_smile:

2 Likes