Configuring node behind CG-NAT

Hi. I am trying to reconfigure my node after swiching to IPS with NAT. I already managed to successfully create tunnel with portmap.io but the port forwarding rule is either TCP or UDP and it needs to be opened for both protocols right? But if i wanted to create another rule i get seperate adress. How can i configure node for two different host names/adresses?

Yes, you need both TCP and UDP, however, the TCP is a minimum requirement, so you may leave it as is.

actually not. But you need to have a paid account if I’m not mistaken.

I paid for premium account actually because I host two nodes but for now I’m trying to make at least firs one work. But currently i’m stuck.
I’ve managed to open a tunnel via portmap.io to my Qnap:

Port forwarding rule on portmap.io : 47776 => 28967

And i started my node with those parameters :

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300
-p 28967:28967/tcp
-p 28967:28967/udp
-p 192.168.1.105:14002:14002
-e WALLET=“0xB5898740d6dfb*****“2C909ACAe43629B7eB”
-e EMAIL=”**********@gmail.com"
-e ADDRESS=“***********-47776.portmap.io:47776”
-e STORAGE=“5TB”
–user $(id -u):$(id -g)
–mount type=bind,source=“/share/Data01/Identity/storagenode”,destination=/app/identity
–mount type=bind,source=“/share/Data01/Storage”,destination=/app/config
–name storagenode1 storjlabs/storagenode:latest

And the node is currently online BUT misconfigured.
Any idea why? I’m guessing it’s beacause tunnel is configured only for TCP?

I’ve noticed something that i dont understand. I open the tunnel using this line :

ssh -i ~/.ssh/name.first.pem name.first@StolikNakawe-47776.portmap.io -N -R 47776:localhost:28967
and i'm doing it via PuTTY on my PC and then the port is showing open on port cheching site, but when i close PuTTY window port is going back to being closed.

These ones should be

-p 47776:28967/tcp \
-p 47776:28967/udp \

And you need to add an UDP protocol for your 47776 port in the portmap.io and the same address. If you cannot configure the UDP protocol for the same address and port, I would suggest to ask their support, since you have a paid account.

2 Likes

Ok. So i’ve created second port forwarding rule for UDP on portmap.io on the same adress. Port is shown as open. I have changed ports parameters in my node as you told me and node is still offline. I have no further idea what i could have done wrong. I don’t need to setup port forwarding on my router since i have tunnelling to my Qnap, right?

Hmm. When i try to open tunnel using this line:

ssh -i ~/.ssh/"name".first.pem "name".first@StolikNakawe-47776.portmap.io -N -R 47776:localhost:28967

as shown on the portmap.io portcheck says the port is open but o get message “connect_to localhost port 28967: failed” every time that i ping the port

and when i close command prompt port is back to being closed

It is possible the node is not running, you can check the logs to see if it is erroring out for some reason.

It’s running and is failing to ping satelite or get the satelite’s URL

Have you tried using an IP address instead of localhost? Such as 127.0.0.1

1 Like

Your -e ADDRESS should be -e ADDRESS=StolikNakawe-47776.portmap.io:47776

If you did change the config.yaml, please remove your changes. At least related to a server.address, it should be

server.address: :28967

or you need to update the right part of the port mapping to the reconfigured port there.

By the way, did you provide a different local port in the portmap configuration, like to use port forward from 47776 to 28967? If so, you need to revert port mapping to your initial config, i.e.

2 Likes

So, i did reverted port mapping to
-p 28967:28967/tcp
-p 28967:28967/udp
because i noticed that node was listening on port 47776

and changed localhost to IP adres 0.0.0.0 as nestat command was telling me node is listenig to and now tunnel is working, port is open and node seems to be working. It is online and downloanding stuff etc. BUT dashboard still tells me it’s misconfigured.

Does it mean that now it is working only on TCP?

1 Like

Not necessarily, there is a bug with it and it may be working and it just doesn’t show that in the checks. We were also advised that the feature is not really being utilized much, so you should be fine if your seeing everything else working well.

2 Likes

Both nodes are runnig, QUIC is misconfigured but i’m gonna leave it that way since You say it’s not nesseccary. Thank You both for help <3

2 Likes