"Container is restarting, wait until the container is running" message when trying to view dashboard

Hi guys,

This is a first Storj install on my clean install Ubuntu 19.04 box and I believe have the Storj Node set up correctly with the ports forwarded to the proper internal IP address. However when I try to view the dashboard, I get the following error.

Error response from daemon: Container (id removed) is restarting, wait until the container is running

I’ve tried stopping, starting, removing, upgrading the container, but nothing seems to change this error message. Any ideas?

Thanks!

There is a bit too little to go on in your message. Could you check your logs and post any errors or warnings you see?

docker logs storagenode

I get multiple lines of this message:

failed to check for file existence: stat config/config.yaml: not a directory

FYI - this is the second node I’ve set up, however it’s the first on a Linux box. The previous node was on a Windows 10 Pro machine that had to be rebuilt. I did not have these issues when setting up the node on the Windows machine.

posting this internally, some Storj folks are out this week due to the holiday +/or personal days.

I’ll update when I hear something

1 Like

Hello @mtnmanjamie,

your error looks like your mount points are not put in correctly. For that reason the container is in a restart loop and retries to find the config.yaml.
If you post your docker run command that you used to start the node, we can start to get that sorted out.

1 Like

That could very well be it! I’m not as experienced in Linux as I’d like to be so it’s entirely possible I incorrectly wrote the mount point

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped -p 28967:28967
-e WALLET=“xxx”
-e EMAIL=“jamie@e********e.ca”
-e ADDRESS=“edgeonline.ddns.net:28967
-e BANDWIDTH=“20TB”
-e STORAGE=“3TB”
–mount type=bind,source="/home/jamie/.local/share/storj/identity/storagenode",destination=/app/identity
–mount type=bind,source="/dev/sdb1",destination=/app/config
–name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:alpha

Can you post your output of cat /etc/fstab and or df -h ?

Sure:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=244477a3-3100-460f-a248-5194aa73854d /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=E139-E771  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
/swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0

You should mount the disk /dev/sdb1 into mountpoint.

Please, copy the output of the command blkid

I’m a bit confused, isn’t that what is already being used as the mount point?

–mount type=bind,source="/home/jamie/.local/share/storj/identity/storagenode",destination=/app/identity
–mount type=bind,source="/dev/sdb1",destination=/app/config
–name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:alpha

Here’s the output from blkid

/dev/loop0: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop1: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop2: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop3: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop4: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop5: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop7: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/sda1: UUID=“E139-E771” TYPE=“vfat” PARTLABEL=“EFI System Partition” PARTUUID=“cfc799a7-ab38-4b04-97c1-9f1acf355054”
/dev/sda2: UUID=“244477a3-3100-460f-a248-5194aa73854d” TYPE=“ext4” PARTUUID=“bb56c5b8-c730-4aec-8980-b59b3d7d1a9e”
/dev/sdb1: LABEL=“Storj” UUID=“0a1bc12a-cf2b-44c8-94fb-d42e45b63784” TYPE=“ext4” PARTUUID=“b68b8972-fb21-493a-9586-7cb2ae4a3e02”
/dev/loop8: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop9: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop10: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop11: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop12: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop13: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop14: TYPE=“squashfs”

No. It is mapping of existing mount on your host to the container. It’s similar to mounting disks in the Linux, but not the replacement.
You should mount the disk to you host and then bind/map/mount it to the container.

So, please, make a mountpoint on your host:
sudo mkdir /mnt/storj
Then add this line to the end of the /etc/fstab:

PARTUUID=b68b8972-fb21-493a-9586-7cb2ae4a3e02 /mnt/storj ext4 defaults 0 0

Save the file and check the mount: sudo mount -a
Now try to access to your disk: ls -l /mnt/storj

If all ok, then replace the source=/dev/sdb1 in the docker run command to source=/mnt/storj
After that try to run the container

2 Likes

thanks for the detailed instructions. Unfortunately I’m still getting the “container is restarting - wait until the container is running” error.

jamie@jamie-ubuntu:~$ sudo docker run -d --restart unless-stopped -p 28967:28967 \

-e WALLET="xxx" \
-e EMAIL="jamie@e********e.ca" \
-e ADDRESS="edgeonline.ddns.net:28967" \
-e BANDWIDTH="20TB" \
-e STORAGE="3TB" \
--mount type=bind,source="/home/jamie/.local/share/storj/identity",destination=/app/identity \
--mount type=bind,source="/mnt/storj",destination=/app/config \
--name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:alpha

efa5d978dce8108719cc36d62e54bff9e09fd1d222cdf8320ea7a074dfd3d128
jamie@jamie-ubuntu:~$ sudo docker exec -it storagenode /app/dashboard.sh
Error response from daemon: Container efa5d978dce8108719cc36d62e54bff9e09fd1d222cdf8320ea7a074dfd3d128 is restarting, wait until the container is running
jamie@jamie-ubuntu:~$

It should be
source="/home/jamie/.local/share/storj/identity/storagenode"

Fantastic! You’ve got me up and running now. The dashboard is showing that I’ve got uptime and my last contact is only a few seconds old.

Thanks very much for all of your help!
Jamie

2 Likes

Just an FYI that this should have been defaults instead of default. On restart the drive wouldn’t mount, but I’ve gotten it resolved now.

Sorry for typo!
And thank you for head up!

No problem! Although, I hope the 1 hr downtime doesn’t hurt my reputation :slight_smile: