Couldn’t you do the uploading part on the client browser using JavaScript?

Couldn’t you do the uploading part on the client browser using JavaScript?

It’s possible with S3 Compatible Gateway either Storj-hosted or self-hosted and using GitHub - storj/browser: A Vue component for managing files on Storj, via gateway-mt.
You can see it in action in the satellite UI: https://docs.storj.io/dcs/getting-started/quickstart-objectbrowser

Some parts are not that easy to understand.

To use the s3 gateway (Self-hosted S3 Compatible Gateway - Storj DCS), you need to run it locally (windows) or on a server (linux). The place where I setup the gateway is need only to push files on the storj network or it must be accessible at all time?

Same question for the GitHub - storj/browser: A Vue component for managing files on Storj, via gateway-mt.. I understand we can push the storj browser on storj network and point a custom domain name to storj so the browser shows up on my own domain name. Is that correct?

You can run it only when it’s needed. We does not have full nodes, because there is no blockchain for p2p networking.
I would recommend to use a native connectors where is possible - you do not need to run a gateway to access objects in this case.

No. You need to host it on the web server or use lambda functions.

On Storj DCS you can host only static web sites without dynamic content, i.e. no php, nodejs, etc.

Just to chime in with how we’re doing this

We have a client using Wordpress who wanted to upload large video files (using an AJAX upload facilty so they can see upload progress) and use Storj to host them.

We found an issue uploading directly to the mounted drive that is on Storj, and so instead we upload to a local directory and then have a cron job running on the server which moves completed uploads to the mounted drive

1 Like

Indeed. I wanted to avoid that part where files are hosted and not encrypted or anonymized. That’s why.

And then when the client wants to get the video back from storj? How works the process?

How do you mounted it?
We heard that rclone mount working like a charm

I think you can try this plugin with our Gateway-MT: GitHub - humanmade/S3-Uploads: The WordPress Plugin to Store Uploads on Amazon S3 with custom endpoint from this list: S3 Compatible Gateway Hosted by Storj - Storj Docs