Created a node now what?

Hello everyone,

So I recently rebuilt my old computer and decided to turn it into a debian server. Saw storj as a way to earn limited passive income which I got up and running with docker. Now I’m looking at it thinking what else could I do with to improve reliability as well as learn more about the storj network.

My experience with debian is little to none, and this was the first docker install

did you instaled debian because of node? because it run perfectly on windows

I wanted to get away from windows with this computer. This all started as an educational exercise so now I’m sort of stuck with it.

Hello @blarghargin123,
Welcome to the forum!

You just need to follow the guide: Quickstart Node Setup - Storj Node Operator Docs
If you stuck with some error - please search for your question on this forum and you likely will find it, if not - post your question here or as a separate topic, we will try to help.

Regarding general recommendations - check your dashboard periodically to make sure that reputation is good (all 100%) and it’s online. That’s probably all.
If you are more interested in deep dive, you may analyze your logs for errors and warnings, and try to fix them.

Some further advice:

• Avoid SMR disks. Performance is not good and they might die earlier
  • Make sure to be notified if one of your node goes offline. UptimeRobot is a good “easy to setup & manage” / “efficient” balance.
  • Use a Back-UPS to prevent sudden shutdown because of an outage. It would give you enough time to shutdown it down properly before power come back.
  • Set up a VPN to access your node when you’re outside. It’s not about checking it all the time but more about being able to fix something if you’re out for a long time (would be sad if your node goes offline the first day of your 2 weeks vacation).
  • Export your logs outside of the containers. This will help you troubleshoot if you have any issue.
1 Like