Creating a node behind CGNAT

Hey,

I’ve been trying to set up my system for storj v3, but my public IP is different from the one i get assigned by my ISP, im behind a CG - NAT.

I have tried setting up ipv6, but as i understand i would not get enough data because clients don’t use it.
I tried calling my ISP to opt-out from using CG NAT - they dont want to.
I do not want to get a VPN service and pay for that because its not free.

What other alternatives do i got?

Thank you
Can anybody help me how to set it up and be able to host a node?

Which country are you in?
If the operator can’t give you IPv4
Or your IPv4 is dynamic
Then you can use DDNS
https://www.noip.com/
This is a good choice
Free package

Im in Romania.
The operator does give a IPv4 address, but this address is shared by other people also because they are running out of adreses, so my public ip if i type in google is 82.x.x.x but because of the CG NAT my routers address is 100.x.x.x basically its like having a router, after your router that you can not control.

I tried no-ip but it goes to the public IP 82.x.x.x not the one i can actually open up ports at.

In this case the DDNS will not help. It can help only with dynamic IPv4.
In case of CGNAT it useless, because you must create an incoming rule for the node’s port on ISP’s NAT. This mission close to impossible.

1 Like

Hello @goldyka,
Welcome to the forum!

You have only two options:

• switch the ISP to ISP without CGNAT
  • use VPN with port forwarding option such as PIA, portmap.io, ngrok, PureVPN, …
2 Likes

Thank you, have been documenting about ngrok, but i dont know how should i set it up.

Also does ngrok address change everytime i get disconnected? So then i have to rebuild the docker image?

My router is running DD-WRT on it, can i connect the router to the ngrok service or i need to set it up on the linux box running storj?

The ngrok should not change the address. It is tied with your account.

You can, but useless. It will create tunnel to the localhost, i.e. to your router only. The storagenode should be there too.
I’m doubt that your router has enough power to run both.

So - no, you should run those tunnels only on the device with storagenode

Ok so the free ngrok account should be fine?
Ill set it up on one of my machines tomorrow and give it a go.

How much will my bandwith be impacted?

I hope, you will tell us :slight_smile:

Moreover it’s depends on your plan: ngrok pricing | Pay-as-you-go or pay per seat
They have limits for each of them

Deal :slight_smile:

Thank you, ill keep you guys updated

Seems the ngrok will change your address on free account with every connection and you indeed will be forced to stop and remove the container then run it back with a new address every time when it’s happened.
https://ngrok.com/docs#getting-started-stable

I would like to suggest you to use portmap.io instead

1 Like