Customers, customers, customers

I don’t see a contradiction here. Look at the NASA thread. NASA could tell exactly how much space they required when the signed their contract with AWS. So there is not at all speculation about this, instead there is a clear time frame how much data NASA is going to push onto AWS.

And this is the idea my post was about. I do believe - if such contracts do exist - such information can be mentioned. Not in detail but in rough numbers. It’s better than not saying anything anyways.

smart ass :smiley:
good thing you aren’t in PR lol

he is right though…

1 Like

indeed he is.
did just spot this shortly after reading this post…

1 Like

That might be true in most companies, but some are more transparent and open minded than that.

The company I work for share a lot of their plans and objectives for coming months/years and are happy to answer most of the questions we might have with regards to where the boat we’re all in is going.
We even have some financial details about projects and signed contracts, giving us a more or less detailed overview on how healthy the company is, and makes us employees pretty involved, I believe.

1 Like

hi folks, I was out during the activie parts of this thread, but thanks for the tag. I’m going to grab a bite to eat, then will catch up on the posts . thank you!

2 Likes

back again, after some nourishment. I agree with @gs.gs that it did look tense here for a minute, but Im super grateful that people were able to work that out respectfully without it taking a downward spin.

I think that its natural to want information, when one is involved with a project. The supplier/demand nature of our business model means that we have multiple audiences to consider. I do know that there are things happening with building out customers and partnerships, but sometimes they happen fast and sometimes they happen slower. As @kevink points out, the number of leads/possibilities is less important than the VALUE of the leads. There’s also a process around announcements, which need to be approved by marketing and legal for accuracy, which can render it opaque rom the outside.

Personally, I am a bit like @littleskunk in that I prefer evidence based reasons in making financial decisions. I think that many of us here are like that.

Regarding who is in the forum, I would say that yes the people who talk most are developers and SNOs. But I also dont ever assume, because the forum does quite well in search results, so there can also be a fair number of non-dev people who read instead of writing.

to @TheMightyGreek it’s accurate to say there are times that the community team can’t discuss news because we are waiting for it to be official, and there are times that we forward the information to the relevant parties inside the company. The team urges colleagues to respond in-thread whenever possible.

@gs.gs: when you say that the company attitude is too noncommittal, what would it take to reverse that impression? I know that you said youre in it for the learning and to have a little fun, but of course you have expectations. @mightygreek makes some great points about frequency of updates and partnerships. Is that what you mean? And is the changelog helpful in that regard? Littleskunk works hard on it, smply because he cares about making sure the informaiton is avaialble. I dont think its likely that the company is suddenly going to start publishing certain network usage stats (we have a lot of other threads on that topic & also remember that the token regulation also affects what we announce)

5 Likes

[quote=“kevink, post:17, topic:9410”]
Sometimes it feels like SNOs are more concerned about STORJ making money than storjlabs itself :smiley:
[/quote]

OK Here is where I must finally disagree. Trust me when I say we do love the prospect of making money. You could even say its a motivation :wink:

Yeah we actually agree on that but to understand my comment, you should not quote it out of context :wink:
While the first sentence was an ironical statement about some SNO concerns, the 2nd actually says the same as you just said :smiley:

1 Like

@kevink youre quite right! i was just trying to be silly for a moment – it does indeed sound like we agree :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the very articulate response, as @littleskunk said there is more in depth information on the GitHub page, I’m still not that comfortable using it but I’ll dig into it.

EDIT: I had a look into the GitHub repository but can’t find the section relating to partnerships, do you have a link to it ?

1 Like
3 Likes

Thanks a lot ! I’ll have a look.

1 Like

Fair enough, I criticize Storj, let me try to share my thoughts on how to improve things.

I would like to receive periodic updates on how the network is doing, perhaps with a forecast for the near future. Just some metrics I’m thinking of:
• Number of nodes or ip blocks participating.
• How many new nodes?
• Nodes leaving the network.
• Total available space?
• Space already sold to customers.
• What to expect in $ (roughly) when I decide today to provide an additional TB to the network.

In short, how are we doing as SNOs and Storj together. Would it be an idea to have a global network area in the dashboard?

I’m sure this forum is full of people that are much more in technology then I’m and they could think of a thousand reasons why these metrics don’t tell anything. But this also about engaging with your SNOs. Give me a reason to check my dashboard daily.

On a higher level Storj should see their relationship with the SNOs more as that of a professional football team with their fans. I’m a fan of a football team, I have a season ticket and follow all news on a daily basis. I have an opinion on which players to buy and who to sell, but I know that there is profession management with the club that is much better in making the right decisions for the future.

I think Storj can learn from other industries and don’t forget football without fans is nothing!

10 Likes

I don’t doubt that this is the end goal. But it’s pretty common for a young company launching a new product to not focus on profit right away. Based on public information I think it’s fair to conclude that profit is not yet the primary concern of Storj Labs, but rather growth on all aspects of the platform. SNOs don’t have the luxury of an investment runway to burn before starting to make money. SNOs want to start making a profit right away.

So there is something to the statement that SNOs are more concerned with profit currently than Storj Labs is.

That said though, it’s also pretty clear to me that Storj Labs is aware of this and has been doing a lot to keep us happy, including intentionally paying SNOs more than they have to by using surge payouts and large amounts of test traffic. We don’t have much to complain in that regard.

While I too would like to know a little more about what is coming up, that’s mostly out of interest in the platform and its future. I would not make buying decisions based on announcements. I would prefer to just look at node performance so far to determine what future income we might expect.

6 Likes

This is not due to our side, sadly. :frowning:

1 Like

But on their site they state:

As of October 30th 2020, Storj Labs will discontinue support for the transfer.sh service.

I believe Storjlabs shoud run such a service on their own to showcase the decentralized cloud.

It is now 7 days when I have started this thread and we still have not received any official response from Storjlabs on the spcifics of this topic. Not even that they cannot disclose anything.
This feels a bit concerning to me.
Also what we see compared to the starting days of the forum there is little to no feedback anymore on ideas on new potential customers.
Even if it’s for the reason that is is a different department, it seems to be very disconnected from this forum or they are ignoring this thread on purpose.

1 Like

I am honestly not quite sure what you expect to get as a response?
I think there have been a couple of valuable responses showing the work that’s been done.

Please do not forget, that we are unable to give out certain information to prevent issues like investment advice, etc.
One can quickly get into dangerous territory here.

Can you please clarify, what information you specifically request?

We are discontinuing the support, as there is no communication from the actual owner with us.
We want/need to make changes to the setup and without the project owner/maintainer, we are unable to do so. Thus there is no choice for us sadly.

That said, there is a PR against the repository to enable Storj as native backend, removing the needs for the S3 Gateway entirely.

2 Likes