Database is locked. What is the reason? What is the possible solution?

I migrated my databases to the SSD and collected statistics. As I wrote before, we have a huge fragmentation of the databases, but after migration, to the SSD this problem is not actual.

Let’s look into statistics of SSD with databases:

As you can see, we have spikes every hour (sent orders to the satellite)

Let’s look more detailed to one of these spikes

Here we can see a lot of IO operations! (1600 for reads + 1400 for writes) but these requests are very small because bandwidth is low (5.9MiB/s for reading and 7.8MiB/s for write). This spike takes about 5 sec on SSD.

Let’s also look into other interesting parameters of these spikes:

Here we can see that one operation takes about 2ms.

Here we can see the average bandwidth of operation

So, let’s summarize and make a conclusion.

What I expected before starting the migration to the SSD:

1. Solve issue with “locks” - yes, it solved. As we can see every hour we have a lot of small IO operations that will definitely can’t be handle by regular HDD, but SSD can handle it easily. Also more orders (traffic) = more small IO operations.
  2. No database performance degradation during a time (one month with active ingress is enough to heavy performance impact) - yes, it also solved. SSD no need move heads and file system fragmentation is not affecting database performance. Before migration, we saw a huge database fragmentation on the HDD that extremely impact performance with a lot of small IO opearion.
  3. We offload main storage for pieces and improve IOPS - yes, it definitely improved. Because we move out fragmented databases than needing a lot of small IO operations our main storage for pieces now has a big offload of unnecessary head movements and we speed up of delivery pieces is improved.

Conclusion: Move the database to SSD it an awesome feature that we must have especially if you advanced storage node operator and have big storage node. Because a lot of small IO operations can easily kill the performance of every single HDD or any RAID with HDDs and produce a lot of problems like database locks because HDD is will be so busy to handle these operations.

11 Likes