Design draft: Link sharing service

3 Likes

Awesome! thanks for posting this :smiley:

and thanks @azdagron !

I’ve been playing with this today and think it’s great! I’d like to see some documentation on how the “share” command works in the Uplink documentation but I’ve pretty much worked it out from the help commands.

The thing I can’t work out…if you share the whole bucket (rather than a specific file within it) how do you see the list of files? This doesn’t seem to work? Assuming this was functionality you were hoping to provide?

This service - is it supposed to be run by the client or will it be provided by Storj?
If I have to run it locally, then it’s a bit pointless as my server will now use twice as much bandwidth as it would if I just stored the files locally (download from Stor network, upload to client).
Having HTTP access to the files is useful though.

Both…storj are running their own instance of this…here’s a test video file I shared earlier

https://link.tardigradeshare.io/1umbX6odeix28Yy9SRfxRSP6c4M25DoKGT9WfqA7xYXxsK6pYfvMoYdek8YLkxzka51XhLoQ7EggQGB63e6MP6DeHy7y9oTbCa8PNS72o7tghrxAVRraZTYxZJfPzhHc2KyRrhRRSoC916oqxLxsoYRt1TqHGikub9FB5tWnvLFd8xNfQqhtQ3F2ZJkXmeDVKom5RqCMcT681DGDazKWfZKypFh1i7UAchVAd2vxcqqdeVG8UhuLRM1xmszMw55jvjP4asy7rJGzNWzihHqwByEHYQGZUVzEcrwNbuR823HDhiFkxVWr48cv9HaTePud3EpquXSxXDfsxdof5ecL2mnVCriuXko9iBgUfzYHtYz9K7dT3sTYJFoYwbmfUVfPMvHwCZ9WaQAne7f/sharedbucket/videotest.mp4

1 Like

Also…I may be wrong but I don’t think the bandwidth comment is a concern. I think the client still downloads the data directly and this service just kinda tells it where to get it from.

I don’t think so, since a browser/wget would not be able to connect to the Storj network directly.

I can download your file using wget, so the link service is providing the bandwidth for it.

1 Like

Also please be aware you just paid for me watching that video. If I were evil I would write a script to download that file over and over with 100 parallel sessions to generate some extra egress for all SNO’s. :slight_smile:

Be careful sharing these links publicly. Especially if you haven’t restricted the access to read only. In that case, imma use your storage too. :wink:

Good thing I’m not evil…

we are all very grateful for your non-evilness brightsilence :joy:

1 Like

haha thanks @BrightSilence but its no different from me sharing files on AWS S3! I also set the permissions on the bucket so you could only read (I think!)

Ill delete the video anyhow just incase there’s some evil genius on here :slight_smile:

3 Likes