Discrimination of node operators on a territorial basis

I know Storj customer from Russia, who storing 40+ Tb. It’s must be a big surprise for him, and probably kill his business.

2 Likes

One part of it we can control. We could allow uploads to these nodes. However, if the worst-case situation kicks in the satellite would be in the other half of the internet that gets unreachable. Maybe the bigger question is who wants to run a community satellite now? That sounds like a better solution that would work even in these worst case situations.

2 Likes

If you provide clear instructions on how to run a production community sat, someone, launch it. Also what about licensing for commercial use inside Russia and the EU?

Democracy and decentralization. Ha-ha :)))

2 Likes

Так это. Коллеги. Вы напишите на сайте тогда что вы не

Store your data all over the world

А вы store data только там, где разрешено. Ну и добавьте, что в любой момент можете просто целую страну отключить по факту от сети.

3 Likes

Please see An update about durability and data traffic in Ukraine and Russia.

This is an unprecedented time, and any decentralized system will suffer if countries disconnect themselves from the internet. We hope Russia does not do this. Not only is it a challenge for any decentralized network for a country to disconnect themselves, it will reduce the ability for its citizens to learn from sources other than those within their country.

1 Like

Can you clarify on the basis of what you concluded that Russia could turn off the Internet? Well, except that you are afraid and all that. What are the conclusions based on?

1 Like

But now not Russian govs disconnect from the Internet, now your team does “shadow ban” of all Russian nodes. If you scare your system not to handle problems with the connectivity of one country, why do you tell about durability and multiple nines in your marketing materials?

Also if you care about freedom, please provide installation instructions and requirements for community satellites and clarify the license for use of this product on a community basis for business.

2 Likes

There have been multiple warnings about this being imminent, such as https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1500553480548892679 as cited in Why Russia probably isn't going to disconnect its 'Runet' from the global Internet just yet | Fortune

Почитали помойную нексту. Яснопонятно. Ну это жестко)

2 Likes

If you were a little puzzled by studying not only Nexta, which is one of the main channels calling for a coup d’état in Belarus, then you would suddenly find out that services are being blocked in Russia. Which does not meet the requirements of Roskomnadzor. Draw conclusions based on two links … Everything is clear with you

1 Like

Dear Russian SNOs, please stop. The situation is bad for everyone.
People from Storjlabs are being extremely fair.

You guys should realize that despite the war in Ukraine world still goes on. There are people trusting their data to Storj and their trust must be met. You say that Russia absolutely won’t cut the internet, but can you still say that looking back at the events of the past two weeks? And if it happens, will you be able to connect your nodes back? If yes, will you be able to properly operate the nodes on those connections?

6 Likes

In this case please provide to Russian ppl a way to continue using Storj and protect SNO and Russian customers investments.

2 Likes

No back. After this steps i dont trust storj. How i can trust company, who can disconnect me referring to unknown resources?

2 Likes

Including from countries where nodes have been disconnected from the task of storage, which is declared as decentralized and working around the world.

1 Like

Storj, the company, can’t do that. If they do, they can be prosecuted by the US Government.

That’s the problem here…

However, there’s nothing stopping a Russian entity from setting up a Russian satellite node.

Where are clear instructions and license terms for setup a self-hosted production-ready sats? Please stop lying about community sats :face_exhaling:

1 Like

Storj as a storage solution exists on the internet, not in the cheburnet. I’m absolutely sure Storjlabs won’t specifically terminate accounts from Russia unless sanctions reach the point when all interactions with Russian entities and individuals are prohibited by governing law. So if you have the access to the internet, you can still use Storj.

But your nodes are not disqualified, and no one is withholding your payment. You’re not happy because Storjlabs are taking adequate measures in order to not lose data?

This is a valid point and I would like some decentralization in satellites as well. But as I said, Storj exists on the internet. You can’t use internet if you don’t have internet access.

4 Likes

Just slow down a bit. We are aware that our current code change is not perfect and we are working on some additional tweaks. Please don’t overreact (yet). Our primary objective is to not lose a file. We are on track with that goal. The second objective is to treat all nodes like we would normally do. That target is only partially fulfilled. We try out best to balance out both targets.

That hasn’t been a topic for us yet. There is also some middle ground. If we are forced to block customers that doesn’t mean we have to delete the data. So it doesn’t need to be as dramatic as the saction might sound at the beginning.

6 Likes

It’s entirely possible to setup a non-Storj run satellite along with the associated storagenodes within the geographic confines of any given nation - including Russia.

I did not claim that the Russian satellite would participate within the wider network.

But it’s still possible to do.

4 Likes