Discrimination of node operators on a territorial basis

Do I understand correctly that node operators from Russia can no longer be selected as a storage operator? I’ve no ingress today :frowning:

Alse I’ve seen this change: e776c65 satellite/checker: pieces in excluded countries are not healthy

@Alexey, не могли бы вы предоставить комментарий по текущей ситуации?

3 Likes

From the commit message:

Add a RepairExcludedCountryCodes config flag for overlay for providing a list of country codes to exclude nodes from target repair selection.

Mark segments with less than repairThreshold pieces in countries not in the RepairExcludedCountryCodes as not healthy.
With this change, the repair process is not affected. The segment will be removed from the repair queue by the repairer.

Another change will handle the logic at the repairer level.

I like the test default values, we all know France does not.

I do not speak golang, but what I understand is that nodes in excluded countries are not selected as targets for repairs. Which, with the current traffic patterns would indeed look like what you see on the graph.

Despite the fact that the change seems to affect only the repair, but in Russia there is no incoming traffic at all. No PUT, no PUT_REPAIR.

1 Like

It’s hard to blame Storjlabs for not wanting to store data in a country that could lose internet connectivity at any moment.

2 Likes

Same issues. I guess Storj Labs team must understand the simple thing “node operators in Russia != aggression support operators”. Now Storj Labs do the same things as the Russian government do in Ukraine, but faces regular civs.
Bravo, Storage Labs!
Also FYI, my nodes are placed in Russia but I’m not a Russian citizen. Surprised?

2 Likes

Storj Labs likely understand that nodes in Russia are at an increasing risk of being fully disconnected from the global Internet though. That’s unfortunate, but please allow me to speculate that Storj Labs might fall a little short of having leverage on geopolitical decisions of this scale.

3 Likes

I am sorry we are letting you in the dark for so long. We are working on an announcement. It is just happening all at once. I hope we can post it later today. Stay tuned.

Just to get the scary part from the table. The plan is not to kick out all nodes. Our main objective is to keep the durability high even if the worst possible situation might kick in.

5 Likes

At the same time, by “disconnecting” nodes from Russia, you slow down the work of real clients from Russia, who, in case of slowing down communication with the rest of the world, will just lose their files.

1 Like

Hi friends, please see An update about durability and data traffic in Ukraine and Russia

6 Likes

I know Storj customer from Russia, who storing 40+ Tb. It’s must be a big surprise for him, and probably kill his business.

2 Likes

One part of it we can control. We could allow uploads to these nodes. However, if the worst-case situation kicks in the satellite would be in the other half of the internet that gets unreachable. Maybe the bigger question is who wants to run a community satellite now? That sounds like a better solution that would work even in these worst case situations.

2 Likes

If you provide clear instructions on how to run a production community sat, someone, launch it. Also what about licensing for commercial use inside Russia and the EU?

Democracy and decentralization. Ha-ha :)))

2 Likes

Так это. Коллеги. Вы напишите на сайте тогда что вы не

Store your data all over the world

А вы store data только там, где разрешено. Ну и добавьте, что в любой момент можете просто целую страну отключить по факту от сети.

3 Likes

Please see An update about durability and data traffic in Ukraine and Russia.

This is an unprecedented time, and any decentralized system will suffer if countries disconnect themselves from the internet. We hope Russia does not do this. Not only is it a challenge for any decentralized network for a country to disconnect themselves, it will reduce the ability for its citizens to learn from sources other than those within their country.

1 Like

Can you clarify on the basis of what you concluded that Russia could turn off the Internet? Well, except that you are afraid and all that. What are the conclusions based on?

1 Like

But now not Russian govs disconnect from the Internet, now your team does “shadow ban” of all Russian nodes. If you scare your system not to handle problems with the connectivity of one country, why do you tell about durability and multiple nines in your marketing materials?

Also if you care about freedom, please provide installation instructions and requirements for community satellites and clarify the license for use of this product on a community basis for business.

2 Likes

There have been multiple warnings about this being imminent, such as https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1500553480548892679 as cited in Why Russia probably isn't going to disconnect its 'Runet' from the global Internet just yet | Fortune

Почитали помойную нексту. Яснопонятно. Ну это жестко)

2 Likes

If you were a little puzzled by studying not only Nexta, which is one of the main channels calling for a coup d’état in Belarus, then you would suddenly find out that services are being blocked in Russia. Which does not meet the requirements of Roskomnadzor. Draw conclusions based on two links … Everything is clear with you

1 Like