Discussion on Commercial Storage Node Operator Program

This topic is for comments and discussion about the Commercial Storage Node Operator Program announcement:

6 Likes

This is the end my only friend

4 Likes

@Th3Van it is your unlimited possibilities.

1 Like

This is all positive news. The larger compliant data center “whales” will leave the public net and join the Commerical program to earn, which will provide more data to the public node operators. And it will not take data away from the public net, since these customers were unable to use the public net due to their certification restrictions. Otherwise, they’d be using a service by a different provider.

So, the way I see it, this works out better for everyone. Storj has multiple paths for customers to use the service, SNO’s on the public net will have more data as whales move to the commercial net, and whales earn more by utilizing their certifications for premium paying customers. Seems to be all win to me.

7 Likes

Is it mandatory to have official certifications?
Or can anyone with >1PB space participate?

This initial pass is based on compliance certifications, but we will add options based on other desirable node attributes over time.

The main idea for us was to find a way for data centers and individual operators to participate in the Storj ecosystem without creating conflicts between different categories of storage.

The default storage tier is the public network. We are going to roll this set of capabilities out at a measured pace and adjust as we get feedback from customers and SNOs.

11 Likes

Seems to me like a big paradigm shift but your logic is sound if this new system is implemented as you described.

I await developments with interest :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Not so fast my fellow SNO.
StorJ is smart enough not to headshot itself. Look at the implementation!

2 Likes

Are there any specs about the storage model on these data centers? Is the expansion factor the same as the main tier? How is that achieved, if you don’t have at least 80 data centers joining?
Why a client should choose Storj premium, instead of a competitor like Hetzner, because it seems to me that decentralisation is deminished, at least in the begining.
What are the rules for data centers regarding the different aspects of being a SNO? Is the vetting still required? Are there held amounts? etc. I’m not interested in joining, because I don’t have a data center, I’m just curious.

1 Like

I foresaw such a scenario back in 2021:
At the initial stage, Storj welcomes enthusiasts and subsidizes them so that the network can grow to certain sizes during this phase. It meticulously reminds not to acquire hardware and so on under any circumstances.
This first stage is necessary only at the very beginning of network deployment. During this phase, the issue of growth remains unresolved: there’s no way to predictably or controllably increase network capacity rapidly. There’s a fake battle against windmills (centralization), unclear year-and-a-half incubation periods, and so on.
Subsequently, as the technology begins to crystallize, Storj finds it simpler to directly contract with data centers from all sides, as they can provide certain SLAs and contracted capacity volumes. Everything happens quickly and transparently.
In the end, Storj enters agreements with several hundred data centers and possibly leaves “regular” operators for visibility, something like a Sia dumpster. Frankly, putting a hand on the heart, who needs these perpetually complaining and demanding operators anyway… ?

3 Likes

@syncamide I suggest you review the Who´s it for? section of the new Commercial Storage Node Operator Program page, where it clearly states:

Who it’s for

• Operators with large amounts of existing underutilized capacity
  • Operators with fully depreciated operational hardware that is in storage or offline
  • Operators with access to low cost storage hardware

Please explain how this is not consistent with our recommendation to only use existing hardware you already own and operate rather than purchasing new hardware for the sole purpose of running a node?

The new Commercial SNO Program does not compete with SNOs serving the Storj public network. It is offering a way to serve a segment of customers we could otherwise not be offering our services to. It does not eliminate our marketing efforts toward acquiring customers who do not have special compliance conditions to consider and would rather not have to pay a premium for using the commercial tier while they can get a great service, including SLAs, by becoming a Storj public network customer.

3 Likes

To join this, does it have to be someone operating an IDC or can it also be someone leasing a space there? Would it be possible for standard SNOs to join this by simply moving the equipment to IDC possessing the required certification and eventually signing some form of contract?
I believe in the announcement it is mentioned you will be charging premium for customers storing their data there. Will there also be an increased rates for SNOs running such nodes?

1 Like

To me this just seems like we as “public SNOs”, will now be feed all the crap data others don’t want.

Storj DCS was suppose to be safe data storage, but apparently not enough…

only time will tell what happens with this, but i suspect i will be taking my 0.5PB worth of HDDs, some where else soon…

3 Likes

The FAQ explained this:

The commercial node operators have a significantly different cost structure. Because of the scale at which they operate they typically accept much lower payout rates because of the efficiency of their operations.

This means that operators on the Commercial tier will not be earning higher payouts per TB than on the Public Network, which means it would be not really be a feasible option for people who just want to participate by renting space in a compliant data center.

And will Storj be charging premium (meaning more) for data stored on enterprise nodes? As the enterprise pricing, as it is mentioned in the announcement, can be interpreted both ways.
Probably just a language barrier here :slight_smile:, sorry.

This is a way for Storj to move away from the pensant what they called decentralized SNOs "You ONLY NEED 500gb to participate. To make it more acceptable. Now I knew this day was gonna come I just didnt know when. I knew Storj was only targeting whales which have access to datacenters. What is now called the Public SNO network which why would anyone want to use this when data across datacenters is more dependent and has better hardware and better internet better everything.
First price cuts to SNOs now another slap in the face to allow whales to take over Storj completely.

2 Likes

The reason we posted the FAQ is so that you would not have to ask these questions. As stated in the FAQ, section entitled How Does it Compare to the Public Network:

• Storj will offer premium enterprise pricing for customers storing data on nodes meeting these special criteria.

Which means, customers who want to have their data stored on the Commercial Nodes will be paying a Premium for this value added service. I can´t think of a way to interpret Premium meaning anything other than paying a higher price.

We did try to answer all the doubts that we could think of in these FAQs, so it would be great if before posting questions, you could read the entire FAQ first. Thanks.

4 Likes

This FAQ doesnt really answer everything the price structure of commercial vs Normal isnt compared in this, It says commerical would get paid less but theres no mention of any prices what so ever. It also doesnt stat what the prices of the premium service would cost to customers. Really theres alot more questions then answers. Does the commercial network work along side the normal public network or are they completely differently controlled with different sats all together?

As I have mentioned, it must be a language barrier from my end as English is like my third language.
My last question then.
What motivation there would be for Storj Inc. not to move all the data to enterprise storage nodes if your cut will be higher - meaning standard customers will be paying the same, but there would be less money to be paid to enterprise SNOs as their rates will be lower?

1 Like

I think they will be using the same satellites, they will be using the same implementation that is already deployed and is now used when geo-localization restrictions are requested.