Discussion on Commercial Storage Node Operator Program

With all respect, but you are wrong. The decentralization is a key feature and it unlikely will be abandoned easily, it’s a good technique to provide a CDN-like experience with zero additional costs.
Storj realised, that business requires old paper confirmations of reliability like SOC2, despite the fact that all data is encrypted with a strong encryption and has a high reliability due to erasure codes.
So, there is a SOC2-Complaint specialized network (still the same Storj protocol!).

We do not need to do that and do not want it. This usually done by SNO for a long time (take a look on nodes’ map).
Datacenters only for those who commited to SOC2, which are suggested only for those customers who requires SOC2 even if that mean more expensive storage and bandwidth.

This is more related to usual supply-demand. If the demand will grow, the supply will grow too. Right now only half of the supply is used accordingly stat.

I disagree. With evolving of “Smart Home” there will be only more home PCs not less. They will have a free storage, because vendors are interested to sell as much hardware as possible (even if it’s actually not needed). It perhaps would be not a magnetic mechanical drives but SSDs, nevertheless, it’s a free unused space. Bandwidth likely will only grow. Maybe even in Germany (I hope).

To be honest I would expect the grow from now not so covered countries, because many of them have lower costs for electricity and I hope that they would have a better internet in the future. I also think that solar-powered storage nodes are still the reality, even now:

Just take a look on all these deserts all over the world, they have a lot of sun. And Elon Musk will help to deliver the Internet there.

4 Likes