[DIY] My new creation - AC line splitter

Hi node operator, when I bought this cheap clamp meter online (about 4.5$) - for anyone didn’t know, it is a device to measure energy consumtion.

I didn’t know how to use it, it always show up 0 when I try to measure. I learn later that you need to measure a single line - I wouldn’t buy the clamp meter if I know this before hand - now I have to improvise.

Search around amazon I saw the cheapest AC line spliter is around 15$, that crazy!

So I thought why not do it myself, look and behold:

The wire is capable of 4600W, so I didn’t bother match 6000W on each end of the connector, because my power socket only rate for 2500W-3000W anyway.

The entire project cost less than 1$ (minus my time of course). It is working as expected. What do you think?

5 Likes

Awesome! I’m impressed

1 Like

Are you running this off an isolation transformer? If no: that thing is a death trap. If yes: you are good.

Basic assumption: you are running a metalic case off that cable and that cable lacks proper grounding (=earthing).

In my country there is no grounding wire, house builder don’t support it unless you told them to, almost all power socket do not have middle wire, there is no ground wire culture here…

I know Japan does that, as long as their transformers are isolated, then you are good.

1 Like

you can just buy a smart power plug that have energy reading on it.
I have a few Kasa plugs to monitor my server total power and other things that are on all the time

1 Like

Another thing that can be done if you’re dealing with very low currents is to add loops in the wire that you’re clamping to measure. Then just divide the result in the meter by the number of times the wire loops through the clamp.

Here in the United States another (possibly risky) option would be to get an extension cord (grounded preferably) that uses “zip cord” for the wire. This is the type of wire that you can see how the individual conductors are separated, where it looks like just individual wires lined up side by side and fused together. You can carefully separate a lead from there (IIRC the neutral is usually ribbed, the live not, and the ground if present would be in the middle) and then just measure. This could be done if you’ve already got a spare cord or possibly cheaper than buying the individual parts to build one. Be cautious though, if you’re not careful separating the conductors you might expose live metal as these cords are only single insulated. Similar could be done with a double insulated extension by removing the outer jacket. Just remember that whatever you do, you’re playing with electricity!

1 Like

For what is it regarding to Storj ?

By the way it looks very dangerous and overrated with 6000 Watt

To measure your power usage to calculate your cost of being a node even if you were using entirely free (already had) hardware.

But yeah, this probably should be in “Projects and Stories” or “Uncategorized” areas.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciated it.

Update: 10 of these cost about $7

P/s: update category

To secure the weak spot at the screws:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07R6T4H7W/?tag=glv-21&ascsubtag=c92de741-1f9a-44cb-83de-7a1d26b444d2&th=1&linkCode=osi&maas=maas_adg_4078CE5957095BBB3B6BB97FC8239F9D_afap_abs&ref_=aa_maas)https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07R6T4H7W/?tag=glv-21&ascsubtag=c92de741-1f9a-44cb-83de-7a1d26b444d2&th=1&linkCode=osi&maas=maas_adg_4078CE5957095BBB3B6BB97FC8239F9D_afap_abs&ref_=aa_maas

It prevents the cable from getting destroyed by the screws and becoming a hot spot.

You can’t always use thoose, because there’s no room for the yellow jackets. Even in his splitters it’s pretty tight. I used to cut those out.

There are ones available without the yellow. You can and should always use them on flexible cable.

What do you mean, I lost a context? Sorry!

I mean those endcaps, that you can crimp on the cable. The ones with the isolating jacket sometimes are too big to fit the space inside the plug. I used to cut them off. I didn’t searched for ones without jackets, I assumed they were all like this.

They are real: here
71xIt737V7L.AC_UL320

3 Likes

They are called ferrules

2 Likes

Recomiendo Zigbee

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=1a57d827cf09faae&sca_upv=1&q=medidor+zigbee&uds=AMwkrPth2lwGf-lsu6J4oEsDB3N5MCIQh1hfnbVU6V7TmEDLfRCCF0SAz75R3MJ_jsjC55m_qUlcEZQmRQznOHsCTS6Xgpgzu16MqfiYaD8X3NuyACCDliP21PGcJHx4ofEr2PTtx3xZxnTnH1vA-ZbAGVc74Pu4aQjXNF5ziaLkCoFn1JAVZjZKNm1WRK6wxmwvmWoqTYfkGd9nNQmQ2ry_eJSSwwfHxjYzjBwOwAxXmAITezGRUeF0LNpMhqanYskZZi5Xl9_-fFvIiaorvlwh005Qnugm2-SNE_QOGgpcUjtrYp6nWzM&udm=2&prmd=sivnbmtz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjVlIe1u8eFAxUGGbkGHYR8BFkQtKgLegQIDhAB&biw=1366&bih=666&dpr=1

How would you use it for Storagenode? I do not see a relation?
¿Cómo lo usarías para Storagenode? ¿No veo una relación?

Its for energy consumption measuring.