Do I need bandwidth.db and other .db files for proper payout?

When upgrading the server, I am constantly faced with the fact that my local database files are broken, and I restore them by deleting them. But after that, all the statistics fly off. I’m wondering if the STORY network uses my local databases to calculate payments, or does it not rely on them? By the way, it would be nice to translate the node to Mysql.

Not at all. All payments are calculated by the orders sent to each satellite.

This introduces a whole new complexity for node operators, to setup and troubleshoot Mysql so it won’t be happening. Flat files are much easier to replace or delete.

3 Likes

There must be something wrong with your upgrade procedure then. Database files are not supposed to get broken that easily.

Unless you have some very, very old pieces that’d require the pieces.db database, there are only two side effects of not having database files preserved: statistics being off and storing some pieces longer than necessary.

You probably didn’t mean that, but this sentence is :sunglasses: :wink:

2 Likes

Very true, however it might not be a bad idea to implement in the future especially for “commercial” node operators if that becomes a thing which I honestly believe is inevitable. As the network grows and databases get larger, a faster option obviously wouldn’t hurt things for those who know how to set up and manage them. Just a thought.

The commercial node operators would probably have bigger needs than just replacing the database, and would rather be expected to code any changes they want themselves. People already tweak source code for their own needs.

1 Like