Does somebody know if somebody develop a app like Dropbox based on Tardigrade

Does somebody know if somebody develop a app like Dropbox based on Tardigrade

actualy dropbox or sharepoint is very useful in everyday work

1 Like

It’s not the purpose of Storj. That’s more Siacoin like. Storj focus is not “cold” storage from what I think. It’s to storage data but for a relatively low period: for cloud development for instance, where’s there a constant flow in traffic.

I disagree.

Storj is marketed as a cloud storage (like S3) competitor. S3 is used for all kinds of different storage needs, where both the storage duration and the frequency of access are highly variable.

Some people use S3 for backups and some people use it for storing website assets that are fetched frequently. Storj can handle both scenarios as well.

2 Likes

I use my company sharepoint like every day, to download and upload files. clean my pc when i am out of space, and load needed files from sharepoint again when i need them.

I tracked activety on sharepoint in our company and there is gigabytes every day go up and down. IN case that I work not in IT company it is very well, there building drawings, pictures …

1 Like

There was an example in the documentation how to setup nextcloud with tardigrade as primary storage, but it was removed. https://forum.storj.io/t/using-tardigrade-with-nextcloud-as-primary-storage/5585.

@naxbc Storj focuses on any cloud storage. It’s even written on the tardigrade main page.

Yes, completely agreed with you, but how’s S3 compared to a regular and average OneDrive user?

That’s what I think Storj business model :wink:
Just let’s face it, on a node operator perspective, which is the backbone of Storj, it’s not profitable to run an SNO for cold storage like OneDrive with 1.5$/TB/month.
@Vadim uses Storj as it’s supposed to on both ways, for customer data and SNO perspective.

Storj is not supposed to be used directly by the end user in these cases. OP was asking if someone has built a similar service on top of Storj.

2 Likes

File management is a great use case. You can map filesystems directly with RClone, and use nextcloud (or others) for a dropbox-like experience

2 Likes

Any updates on this? Dropbox would be very promising but challenging to implement which is why it has done so well. Perhaps a focus on a middle ground like a way to intelligently sync a single computer to the state of storj. I do this with Dropbox and use Plex to view the files on that computer.

This is on my wishlist, too. And I would expect to be able to work on this in the coming months.

2 Likes

While not synchronizing data, the vortex project is a kind of end-user Storj web front end. It’s currently in development. There was a post looking for testers a month or so ago.

https://vortex.storj.io/

2 Likes

I am following Storj in-depth but I totally missed that one. How come?

Will have a look at it!

3 Likes

Looks like you can sign up to test. Is there still anyway to get more involved on what they are looking for testing wise?

hey @serverninjas yes there will be lots of ways to be involved more. shoot me a PM with your interests!