Does Storj have gaming servers like Pubg?

Does Storj have gaming servers like PubG?
Cause If it is such then the traffic would be far too congested.
I really hope that storj would have gaming server from Pubg and Lord mobile in the future if there it is not today.

Storj is decentrailized storage network… Not a gaming server.
You need RAM and CPU power to run a gaming server.
Okey i think the server form Storj have a lot of RAM and CPU power but,
Storj is designed for data storage not for gaming server services.
Up-/Downloading and storage game files, stats, lvls…etc could be possible.
A complete gaming server no.

1 Like

Storj will never have gaming servers it’s in the name storage. There in the business to sell cloud storage not gaming servers.
Not now not ever gaming servers is another world, also the games you mention aren’t even popular games to be able to host your own dedicated server.

1 Like

Never say never. It’s not like it’s impossible to do distributed compute. Though you would definitely need different kind of nodes to make that happen. That said, even with distributed compute, gaming is probably one of the last use cases that would fit, since latency is of the utmost importance. Distributed compute would be much better put to use in data science scenarios. Or other asynchronous parallelizeable loads.

2 Likes

I think thats a different idea as that already does exist, But for gaming I dont know there’s to many things that go on with a dedicated game server to be able to run in different countries with latency issues.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be great if Storj classifies the node operators in two. i.e: with minimum requirement for the normal node and the gaming node?

I would be thrilled to know, what would the minimum requirement for the gaming node would be?

I don’t think gaming is going to be feasible on a distributed network. Anything that’s latency sensitive would have way too many hurdles to overcome.

Besides, gaming is an inherently centralized workload as there needs to be a central control server to keep track of the game state.

2 Likes

You also gotta remember a single powerful server can handle many dedicated game servers, putting a cloud game server would need to over come so many different issues, There no benefit to running a single dedicated server over many servers. Its always going to be better to have a single datacenter handling your game servers rather then many Servers around the world handling your server would be so much lag if you were playing a game. Also you gotta support many different games and if everyone has different speced out servers it would end in a disaster because you would want all the servers running the exact same hardware across the board.

Then datacenters have access to high network data meaning each server could be attached to each other via 100gig networking so they would be able to talk to each other as if they were one PC.

2 Likes

Depends on which game, you don’t need a single server if the game isn’t real time. You would need it for MMO for example, but not for many other games. Most mobile or browser games don’t have more than several simultanous players or aren’t real time. For those, anything cheap would work. Many high end games would be impossible to run on a distributed system, but then again, each product has its customer. There are some of these distributed compute projects around but none that I’ve found pay as well as Storj (assuming there is bandwidth use).

2 Likes

@Storgeez is right, there are games that dont need very low latency to give a good user experience, but in change this games simply need storage, to store all players data. It could be a good idea to invite some gaming developers to the network, the ones that only need cheap storage to be served to the players. Most mobile games take from 40mb to 600mb of data, and that data must be downloaded from somewhere. What developers do is use Google Playstore storage for a small part of the game data, and after game it’s installed, the game will download the rest of the data form other servers cheaper than Google.
And most games while functioning simply use distinct databases that store player information, and dont care about speed, latency, etc so much.

Of course its irrational to thing of Storj for games like Starcraft II or Counter Strike, or games with high level of interaction, but in nowadays most downloaded games are the ones in your mobile, that can be handled perfectly by Storj

1 Like

Storj itself can’t run any games at all. It just can’t.

But, games can use storj as a backend storage if it is suited for the application.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I was talking about. Obviously running a game on storage is out of the question. :grin:

1 Like

Never say never, we only at begining of way.

2 Likes