Does storj.io backup its data

We’re gonna use storj.io as our primary storage of storing important files on the website we are building, does storj.io guarantee no data loss? basically if files go down the company goes down as simple as that.

Always backup important, or all your data. If the satellite goes down, all data is unavailable.

2 Likes

There is a difference between data being temporarily unavailable and being completely lost. Note that our satellites are not a single point of failure as they are distributed and don´t run just on one single server.

2 Likes

We will be happy to put you in touch with our Solutions Engineers to discuss your company´s specific needs and how Storj can address them.

2 Likes

https://www.storj.io/solutions-brief/redundancy

Storj DCS have never lost a file.

2 Likes

They promise eleven 9’s of durability. So far they haven’t lost a single file. Nobody guarantees no data loss. It doesn’t work that way. Always keep your own backups.

5 Likes

Sorry for being vague but I meant permanently not temporarily, even servers go own temporarily that doesn’t really matter.

That’s reassuring thank you so much!

Is there any convenient method that you use for backing up? I can think of downloading everything and uploading to a third-party backup but that is not efficient at all :slight_smile:

there is erasure coding, when you upload file it is done 80 pieces over the world, but you need only 29 of them to restore file. there is also audit and restore process that ensure that there is always minimum at least 56(if I remember correct) of piece’s are online, if less, it will be restored up to 80 again.

2 Likes

Storj works with leading apps and services to make it easier to get the highest value from using Storj.

2 Likes

I’m not an expert in storage, but did a quick google search and got a few things from it not so much in depth though, 29/56 is really close to 2 but still isn’t does that mean a full backup is almost available but it isn’t? Also since this happens I shouldn’t encrypt my files anymore right? The files are sensitive, they include pictures of Identification cards and bank cards and so on.

That sounds really interesting thanks!

1 Like

it not work like just copy, it can be any 29 from this 56 pieces, so there is always enough of them.

1 Like

What I’m trying to ask is that since
29 * 2 = 58
and minimum is 56 and 58 - 56 = 2
2 pieces are missing from a full backup, what if the missing piece would be from one of these 2 pieces :slight_smile: My question might sound really stupid but I’m really new to the technology you just mentioned and generally to storage.

it can be ANY 29 from this 56, so it cant be that there is missed piece.

1 Like

It functions a little like parity RAID, but with a LOT more parity. Each piece is unique and encoded in such a way that it doesn’t matter which 29 pieces you still have access to, you can always recreate the original file with any 29. This is much more resilient than just having copies.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

This is just convincing me that I don’t even need backup :slight_smile: I mean what are the chances of so many pieces getting lost that it won’t be restored 56 is so many if 29 is only required! On a side question, this system also makes us needless to encrypt the files? Some serious pictures of ID cards bank cards and … are used in our system that we don’t want leaked, encryption sounded like a solution but it requires a lot of resources the system you are describing sounds like to me doesn’t really need encryption am I wrong? (The purpose is to avoid data leakage from storj.io only).

Encryption already happens automatically when you upload your files to Storj, you don´t need to do that as a separate step before uploading the data.

3 Likes

Thank you so much one of worst concerns disappeared completely :slight_smile:

1 Like

The encryption happens automatically, but it’s separate from the erasure coding. Data is first encrypted and then erasure coded. So even if somehow someone is able to get a hold of 29 pieces, they still can’t do anything with the encrypted file.

1 Like