Does watchtower not check for an update immediately on startup?

Noticed my nodes are an older version so I decided to give watchtower a try. Fired it up and my node is still running a older version. Checked the docker logs of watchtower and I see nothing. So my question is, does watchtower check for a update immediately upon startup?

I believe it doesn’t, it’ll check and update if necessary within the next 72h. if I’m not mistaking.

And welcome to the forum by the way :slight_smile:

Also, you can copy/paste your watchtower command here for us to check whether it’s correct, if you wish.

I read that watchtower checks every 12 to 72 hours. Am I the only one that thinks that is too long? I mean is the update check really that intensive that we really can only check every 12-72 hours? What f there is ever a serious vulnerability discovered, that’s a hell of a long time to wait for an update. Also, it should check immediately upon startup.

1 Like

Command I ran is from the documentation.

[root@CC0A254C ~]# docker pull storjlabs/watchtower
Using default tag: latest
latest: Pulling from storjlabs/watchtower
3a807ee5a0f8: Pull complete
b379e8187639: Pull complete
148d951e88d7: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:31c0c558ec8adad5cec6cb86320c58018289ca22dafa019c31cd5d6f65f03655
Status: Downloaded newer image for storjlabs/watchtower:latest
docker.io/storjlabs/watchtower:latest
[root@CC0A254C ~]# docker run -d --restart=always --name watchtower -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock storjlabs/watchtower storagenode watchtower --stop-timeout 300s
a6e1394ed725541741f9604916656c69f43085ca59a0f892afd82c0bb76c2a7c
[root@CC0A254C ~]# docker ps -a
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                          COMMAND                  CREATED         STATUS         PORTS                                                     NAMES
a6e1394ed725   storjlabs/watchtower           "/watchtower storage…"   9 seconds ago   Up 7 seconds                                                             watchtower
1ea40f556eaf   storjlabs/storagenode:latest   "/entrypoint"            4 weeks ago     Up 4 weeks     xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:14002->14002/tcp, 0.0.0.0:28967->28967/tcp   storagenode
[root@CC0A254C ~]# docker logs watchtower

Alright that looks okay :+1:
Just for info, storagenode watchtower are the list of container names that you wish to update automatically. If you have a second storj node named “storagenode2” one day, you would have to add it to this list, like so:

docker run -d --restart=always --name watchtower -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock storjlabs/watchtower storagenode storagenode2 watchtower --stop-timeout 300s

Another thing to keep in mind is that if your node is 2 minor versions behind current version it won’t get any ingress anymore, and getting older than that is dangerous as it would quickly lead to disqualification.

Depending on what version you’re currently running, you might want to manually update.

2 Likes

All of my nodes are currently on 1.19.6

I don’t want to do a manual update ATM because I want to make sure watchtower does what it is suppose to do but if I need too I will.

Your node version is quite behind. My nodes are running version 1.21.2.
StorjLabs want us to be as up-to-date as possible.

Are you still getting ingress? If so I guess you still have time to check whether watchtower works fine.
But if I were you I wouldn’t tempt fate and would update now to be safe.

There’s a section explaining how to do that manually there, should you choose to do so:
https://documentation.storj.io/setup/cli/software-updates#manual-updates

No my graphs show ingress dropped off on the 10th from the looks of it. Guess I’ll manually upgrade.

2 Likes

You could do the manual upgrade to 1.21.2 and then in the next week or so watchtower should do it’s thing and update to 1.22.2

This random check window is on purpose so if there is a fatal bug that slips into a release, it won’t take the entire network down if all nodes update at the same time.

2 Likes