Does watchtower work with the beta?

Hi @Alexey,

Obviously you have not been following my responses. I posted the watchtower update steps I did 2 days ago so that you could see exactly what I was doing. Let me do it again, if this is incorrect PLEASE let me know:

storj@pine64 : ~ $ docker stop watchtower
watchtower

storj@pine64 : ~ $ docker rm watchtower
watchtower

storj@pine64 : ~ $ docker run -d --restart=always --name watchtower -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock storjlabs/watchtower storagenode watchtower --stop-timeout 300s --interval 21600
e9735d4b05bb905528649b054ebb993895fcfe825748fe8e66eff8d12fc99c1d

I’ve done this same steps now at least 3 or 4 times with no change. So, either I am doing something wrong or watchtower does not work or is broken. This is starting to get quite frustrating because it doesn’t seem as thought anything is being done to resolve this problem.

You missed the one step, which is actually update the image

docker pull storjlabs/watchtower
1 Like

Ok, I forgot to do that this time. So, I’ll have to wait for the next update to see if it is done automatically (again). BTW, for my Pine64 you also have to add the –platform aarch64 to the command.

watchtower did not update to 26.1

there were no entries at all in docker logs watchtower

the node was up for 2 weeks (352 h) since latest update to v0.25.1

docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                        COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                                                NAMES
3344fa5db3fa        storjlabs/storagenode:beta   "/entrypoint"            2 weeks ago         Up 2 weeks          0.0.0.0:14002->14002/tcp, 0.0.0.0:28967->28967/tcp   storagenode
41655fcc9779        storjlabs/watchtower         "/watchtower --inter…"   2 weeks ago         Up 2 weeks                                                               watchtower
docker images 
REPOSITORY              TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             SIZE
storjlabs/storagenode   beta                e4968555e291        2 weeks ago         26.8MB
storjlabs/storagenode   alpha               eeb4d7c11514        3 weeks ago         26.6MB
storjlabs/watchtower    latest              84803293c0e3        4 months ago        14.5MB

docker-compose:

watchtower:
      image: storjlabs/watchtower
      restart: always
      container_name: watchtower
      command: --interval 21600 --cleanup true --stop-timeout 300s --cleanup
      volumes:
      - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock

Please, wait for at least 6h and then check the version again. We uses the 21600 interval to check for updates.
If your node would not be updated after 10h, then please, stop and remove the watchtower container, re-pull its image and run it back: https://documentation.storj.io/setup/cli/software-updates#automatic-updates

For the docker-compose you can use these commands

docker-compose pull watchtower
docker-compose up -d watchtower

Please, make sure that you uses a bind mount type for the storagenode data and the identity:

Please, don’t use the short syntax, you can lose your data!

It’s been more than a few days now and watchtower still has not done the update. So, I guess I will do it manually and officially give up on watchtower doing this automatically from now on. :frowning:

Watchtower HAS been working great in beta until recently.

On one compute platform we have several nodes running. To keep things simple we use 1 watchtower line for each instance as such:

docker run -d --restart=always --name watchtowerXX -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock storjlabs/watchtower storagenodeXX watchtower --stop-timeout 300s
Where XX = storage node ID number.

RECENTLY (like today recently) we are only able to run one watchtower instance at a time total. If you fire up “watchtower05” and then fire up “watchtower06” it kills “watchtower05”. Looking for a fix.

You can do it with only one watchtower instance. Just put all the names of the storagenodes and watchtower there separated with a space. Works for me with 3 storagenodes without problems.

2 Likes

Well it hasn’t worked for me for a few months now and no one has been able to inform me on how to fix it. :angry:

I’m kind of surprised that the recommended way to launch the container isn’t by using docker-compose. It wraps up all of the docker config in a single file. Updates become as simple as having cd container-dir && docker-compose up --pull -d -t 300 in cron or a systemd timer. Watchtower becomes redundant.

Please, can you share your watchtower command?
Also, logs from the running instance.

storj@pine64 : ~ $ docker run -d --restart=always --name watchto er -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock storjlabs/watchtower storagenode watchtower --stop-timeout 300s --interval 21600

executing the docker logs -t watchtower shows nothing.

I’ve already provided this information before. :angry:

Thank you.
Please, clarify when you used the --platform aarch64?

Please, show the result of the command:

docker ps

Hi Alexey,

Here all the steps I use. Notice that for the pull if I don’t specify –platform aarch64 it fails:

storj@pine64:~$ docker stop watchtower
watchtower
storj@pine64:~$ docker rm watchtower
watchtower
storj@pine64:~$ docker pull storjlabs/watchtower
Using default tag: latest
latest: Pulling from storjlabs/watchtower
no matching manifest for unknown in the manifest list entries
storj@pine64:~$ docker pull storjlabs/watchtower --platform aarch64
Using default tag: latest
latest: Pulling from storjlabs/watchtower
Digest: sha256:6accfdce9f39eedb957dd8ce20db3eff0872b33a4708b897ecaddfe967b2b941
Status: Image is up to date for storjlabs/watchtower:latest
storj@pine64:~$ docker run -d --restart=always --name watchtower -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock storjlabs/watchtower storagenode watchtower --stop-timeout 300s --interval 21600
c7d5344c505997a200a89d9ac518f4ead52a66b85e756522ce7efb5d678838e9
storj@pine64:~$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                        COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                      NAMES
c7d5344c5059        storjlabs/watchtower         "/watchtower storage…"   34 seconds ago      Up 29 seconds                                  watchtower
37bd0da37b4f        storjlabs/storagenode:beta   "/entrypoint"            2 days ago          Up 2 days           0.0.0.0:28967->28967/tcp   storagenode

Thank you!
Are you using the same option when you pulling the image for storagenode?

Yes, this is the pull I use for the storagenode:

docker pull storjlabs/storagenode:beta --platform aarch64

I see. Thank you for feedback. Seems the watchtower trying to pull the image without this option and ends up as no image at all.
I shared this info with devs

1 Like

k, thx… hopefully, that fixes things… Also, it would be nice if they put the possible failure in the log so we at least would know if a attempt was made. With nothing logged there is no way of knowing whether there was an attempt made to pull the new version.

You can enable it, try to run watchtower with a -d option