Don't get distracted when you are moving a node

I just did an rsync --delete while the node was already running at its new location…

:scream: :scream: :scream: :sob: :sob: :sob:

Let’s see if it will survive. :weary:

1 Like

Ouch!
I had something similar happen to one of my nodes (rm -r on the new location :man_facepalming:)
It got DQ on 1 satellite, but the remaining 5 survived and at 100%. Thankfully, the data loss was small and got replenished withing a week or two.
Hopefully in your case the damage will be minimal as only the newly downloaded files may have been deleted. Chances are you will survive on all satellites.

Best of luck! :pray:

1 Like

did the exact same thing once, was to quick with the trigger finger, luckily my node had only been running for a few minutes in its new location…

i doubt it will kill your node, atleast if its an older node…
currently you need something like 4-10% data loss to be DQ…

I hope it’ll be fine. It is running full gear now ingesting as much ingress as it gets…

It has been running for like 20-30 minutes. And I sat there looking at the rsync output and was wondering why it is showing so much for the final sync. :thinking: ???
It took me a while to realize that this :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: was already running.

I recall the one time I wanted to try rm -rf /, just for fun, on a VPS to be decommissioned anyway. Except I typed it in the wrong terminal window.

I was this close →← from pressing enter.

2 Likes

I did worst, once I had to expand an existing node, so I bring back it to home to swap files to the new hard drive.

The first time i SSH to it using local IP address and then start to format the new drive and prepare everything…then i reboot the node but i reconnect to it using the DNS instead of local address…but my home already had another very old node but both DNS point to my network, so when i ssh with dns i was in the old node thinking it was the new expanded node :sweat_smile:

Then i continue to setup this node thinking it was the new one ahahaha
Thx god i realize the mistake before migrating the data and i had the identity backup.

I was joking by the network ghosting and dns name :joy: :joy: :joy:

I’ve been migrating a couple of nodes lately and this is a reminder to not half ass things like I often do, thanks ! I hope your node survives.

2 Likes