Error Cannot open access to console the root account is locked see sulogin(8) man page for more details

Hello.

I have a Ruspberry pi 4 and a 5.5 terabyte hard drive.

Everything worked well for about 8 months, but something went wrong yesterday.

In the afternoon, I changed the time zone through rasp-config, saved and continued my work. In the evening of the same day, the electricity in my house went out several times, but after 30 minutes it continued working again.

The next morning I saw that I could not connect via SSH to my Raspberry pi 4. I took out my keyboard, monitor and connected directly. I saw the following error during startup:
SCREEN 1

Cannot open access to console the root account is locked see sulogin(8) man page for more details

After that, I couldn’t use the command line. The Enter key didn’t help. It all started from the beginning.

On the Internet, I read that you can insert a Micro-sd card into a PC in cmdline.txt add “init = / bin / sh” at and save.
Then I got access to the command line, but there was clearly some error with the system.

SCREEN 2

Tell me how I can better solve the problem? I might still be able to fix the operating system. If this fails, how can I best restore access to my storage node? I will also ask you to take into account in the answers that I am new and may not understand all the terms and meanings. If you need to check something, or show a screenshot, tell me about it.

By the way, my 5.5 terabyte external hard drive is ok, only Raspbian OS is damaged

Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) Lite

The simplest way would be backup your identity if it’s on the SD card and flash the SD with the latest image, then mount your disk, configure a docker and run the storagenode as well
You can use this guide:

Just skip the step with format of your disk with data.
The identity is better to place to the disk with data.

However it is not the case, if you have configured a lot of other services, which would be hard to configure again. In this case you will be forced to Google almost any next issue which you meet. This could take a lot of time.

1 Like

Looks like you may have had drive issues which causing it to go into this mode. Sometimes theres no way to recover the old data. Its easier to just start a fresh OS. Can you be sure your external drive is fine? Cause it failed to mount.

If you saved your identity on this drive its likely that its gone, You should always store the identity on same drive as the node so if this happens you can just move the node hard drive to another system and start like nothing happened.

My external drive is fine, I just turned it off to avoid any harm. My identity was stored on micro-SD, but I still seem to have access to it. Plus I once saved it on my Windows computer.
Thanks for the advice, I didn’t even think about the fact that you can store the identity on an external drive.
Now I will try to write everything to another micro-sd.