Error creating revocation database: revocation database: boltdb: open config/revocations.db: read-only file system

I’ve been running a Storj node for several months now with no issue on a Raspberry pi 4 with Ubuntu. But after a recent OS update my node ran for several hours then gave me this error this error

“Error: Error creating revocation database: revocation database: boltdb: open config/revocations.db: read-only file system”

I found a file named revocations.db in /home/captain/.local/storj/identity/revocations.db on my computer and change all the permissions to read write for everything. It seem to be working for about a week until today I got the same error.
I found another file named revocations.db in a folder in my external hard drive I use for storj /media/captain/UNTITLED/revocations.db. I can’t change the permission to the file my computer says it’s a read only file system.

I’ve found some documentation on a Ubuntu form on how to remount a drive and change the permissions but I’m unsure that’s the right way to fix this issue.

Im kind of a nub at this any help would be greatly appreciated.

here are my docker logs

2021-08-28T22:30:57.801Z INFO Configuration loaded {“Location”: “/app/config/config.yaml”}
2021-08-28T22:30:57.838Z INFO Operator email {“Address”: “XXXXXXX@XXXX.com”}
2021-08-28T22:30:57.839Z INFO Operator wallet {“Address”: “0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX”}
Error: Error creating revocation database: revocation database: boltdb: open config/revocations.db: read-only file system
storj. io/storj/storage/boltdb.New:44
storj. io/storj/private/revocation.openDBBolt:52
storj. io/storj/private/revocation.OpenDB:35
storj. io/storj/private/revocation.OpenDBFromCfg:23
main.cmdRun:169
storj. io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:363
storj. io/private/process.cleanup.func1:381
github. com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:852
github. com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:960
github. com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:897
storj. io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfig:88
storj. io/private/process.ExecCustomDebug:70
main.main:385
runtime.main:204

If your file system is mounted read-only it indicates a corrupted file system.
Some solutions here
https://linuxtect.com/read-only-file-system-error-and-solutions/
or google for ‘linux file system read only’

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
It was a corrupt file system.
yesterday I ended up plugging my external hard drive into my Windows machine and ran chkdsk h:/f and sfc /scannow. That seems to have fixed it.
If it happens again I’ll try the solution you sent me.

Hello @Captain ,
Welcome to the forum!

You did it right because you uses foreign for Linux the NTFS filesystem.
If you did not filled this drive too much I would recommend to copy data from there and reformat the disk to use ext4, then copy data back.
Sooner or later you will have issues with this disk using NTFS on Linux.
To fix any NTFS issue you will be forced to connect it to Windows and check/repair there.

Please, make sure that you do not use automount feature in Linux GUI, make this mount static: How do I setup static mount via /etc/fstab for Linux? - Storj Docs

Thanks for the help
I ended up getting the same error a couple days after repairing the disk in windows. So I did what you said and reformatted the disk to ext4.
It actually made the files I was storing take up less room :grin:
But my audit score for the salt lake satellite dipped a little bit, hopefully not too much got altered during the process.
and thanks for the mounting tutorial I’ll make sure to do that next time a reboot the computer

You do not need to reboot to check it. Just try to run sudo mount -a, it should not throw any error, otherwise there is a mistake.