Error Ping Satellite Failed, IP Address not allowed

At some point recently my node broke. I’ve been working on getting it back up tonight and have run into numerous errors. However my googlefoo is failing me on the latest error. Any help is appreciated. My logs are below:

2023-12-02T07:37:27Z INFO lazyfilewalker.used-space-filewalker subprocess finished successfully {“process”: “storagenode”, “satelliteID”: “12tRQrMTWUWwzwGh18i7Fqs67kmdhH9t6aToeiwbo5mfS2rUmo”}
2023-12-02T07:37:27Z INFO lazyfilewalker.used-space-filewalker starting subprocess {“process”: “storagenode”, “satelliteID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6”}
2023-12-02T07:37:27Z INFO lazyfilewalker.used-space-filewalker subprocess started {“process”: “storagenode”, “satelliteID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6”}
2023-12-02T07:37:27Z INFO lazyfilewalker.used-space-filewalker.subprocess Database started {“process”: “storagenode”, “satelliteID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6”, “process”: “storagenode”}
2023-12-02T07:37:27Z INFO lazyfilewalker.used-space-filewalker.subprocess used-space-filewalker started {“process”: “storagenode”, “satelliteID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6”, “process”: “storagenode”}
2023-12-02T07:37:27Z ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“process”: “storagenode”, “Satellite ID”: “12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs”, “attempts”: 9, “error”: “ping satellite: check-in ratelimit: node rate limited by id”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite: check-in ratelimit: node rate limited by id\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:203\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:157\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:99\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:75”}
2023-12-02T07:37:28Z ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“process”: “storagenode”, “Satellite ID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6”, “attempts”: 9, “error”: “ping satellite: check-in ratelimit: node rate limited by id”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite: check-in ratelimit: node rate limited by id\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:203\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:157\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:99\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:75”}
2023-12-02T07:41:40Z ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“process”: “storagenode”, “Satellite ID”: “1wFTAgs9DP5RSnCqKV1eLf6N9wtk4EAtmN5DpSxcs8EjT69tGE”, “attempts”: 10, “error”: “ping satellite: check-in network: IP address not allowed: address.ddns.net:28967”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite: check-in network: IP address not allowed: address.ddns.net:28967\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:203\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:157\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:99\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:75”}
2023-12-02T07:41:41Z ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“process”: “storagenode”, “Satellite ID”: “12EayRS2V1kEsWESU9QMRseFhdxYxKicsiFmxrsLZHeLUtdps3S”, “attempts”: 10, “error”: “ping satellite: check-in network: IP address not allowed: address.ddns.net:28967”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite: check-in network: IP address not allowed: address.ddns.net:28967\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:203\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:157\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:99\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:75”}
2023-12-02T07:41:44Z ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“process”: “storagenode”, “Satellite ID”: “12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs”, “attempts”: 10, “error”: “ping satellite: check-in network: IP address not allowed: address.ddns.net:28967”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite: check-in network: IP address not allowed: address.ddns.net:28967\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:203\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:157\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:99\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:75”}
2023-12-02T07:41:44Z ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“process”: “storagenode”, “Satellite ID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6”, “attempts”: 10, “error”: “ping satellite: check-in network: IP address not allowed: address.ddns.net:28967”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite: check-in network: IP address not allowed: address.ddns.net:28967\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:203\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:157\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:99\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:75”}

1 Like

Routing is wrong…

• port forwarding right?
  • IP and/or DDNS right?
3 Likes

Does it resolved to IP?

nslookup address.ddns.net 8.8.8.8

By the way, are you sure, that you didn’t put some not-ASCII symbols in your address?

3 Likes

Check if you got CGNAT-ed from your provider.
Tell them you have ip-cam and need public ip. If so

2 Likes

So thank you for all your responses. It helped me figure it out. Basically, my DDNS had somehow managed to populate with my private IP. Still trying to track down how that happened(If you have any ideas, I’d love to hear them), but once I manually updated it with my public IP it started working. My dashboard still isn’t cooperating, but my logs are at least showing things as they are working appropriately.

Update: Okay. Realized I was dumb and had multiple files laying around with my start-up script. I was using the old startup script without the mount command. Once I used the right command my dashboard is back and everything seems to be functioning again. Thanks again for the pointers in the right direction. I still don’t know why my DDNS was messed up… But otherwise, I’m back up and running.

This is usually mean that you have a double NAT. If the first router has a public IP, matched the IP from Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router, then you might use an app for your DDNS provider or configure your first router to update your DDNS. But you also must create port forwarding rules for TCP+UDP 28967 ports on your first router to forward them to the IP of your second router and create the same rules for TCP+UDP 28967 ports on your second router to forward them to the IP of your host with storagenode.
You may also switch your second router to the access-point or switch mode to do not deal with the double NAT and configure everything only on your first router. The other way is to switch your first router to the bridge mode and configure WAN on your second router to handle authorization or mirror the MAC of the first router (if your ISP authorizes you by MAC address), or even better - connect the WAN line directly to your second router.