Error starting master database (operation not permitted) after update on QNAP-Nas

Hello @qookoo,
Welcome to the forum!

For some reason the container on QNAP requires --privileged option in the docker run command.

Do you have any tutorial to do this?

or will you solve this problem in the future app update?

I’m new to this, even after googling it still feel confused.

Hey @qookoo! That is a great question @utropicmedia-karl might be able to give us more information about how to do this or if it going to be updated in the next release.

Hi qookoo,

What is the firmware version of your qnap?

Thanks.

-K

If i can also answer :wink:

Mine is now 4.4.3.1381, i updated to newest version during debugging

[Firmware Update] Updated system from version 4.4.2.1320(20200529) to 4.4.3.1381(20200729).

on 4.4.2 the system was running since 1.june 2020

So, the --priveleged start to be required after firmware upgrade?

No. The storagenode V1.9.5 was not starting with “operation not permitted” with both firmwares.
To debug the situation i upgraded to actual firmware but no change. Still “operation not permitted”.

My QNAP model is TS-231P2.

My system version was 4.4.2.1302, and I update it to 4.4.3.1381 but still not work.

Hi qookoo,

I am also running into trouble. Where can you find the log?

Thanks!

Best, Michaël

All,

Is the app compatible with Thin volumes?

Best, Michaël

All,

I run in the following problem:

• I was running the node successfully for almost 2 months
  • Stopped the node - and my system - also upgraded to the most recent QTS
  • now when I start - I get the following message - the container starts - but then stop - starts again - stops - some 2-3 times
    6848a1fb9a6d storjlabs/storagenode:beta “/entrypoint” 2 seconds ago Up Less than a second 192.168.0.117:14002->14002/tcp, 0.0.0.0:28967->28967/tcp storjlabsSnContainer

Any a suggestion?

(also upgraded to the most recent version by clicking the “Update my storage node” - but the issue was already before upgrading)

Thanks!

Best, Michaël

I guess your problem is the same as mine.

you can follow the following screenshots to get the log.
just click the red square side.

Hi qookoo,

Indeed, same problem!
Error: Error starting master database on storagenode: storage node database error: unable to open database file: operation not permitted

Did you figure out a way to solve this?
Alexey suggests to use the --priveleged flag? How do I do this?

Thanks a million!

Best, Michaël

Error: Error starting master database on storagenode: storage node database error: unable to open database file: operation not permitted

Hi all -

I found this thread over at the QNAP forums: https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=142853

my question is, have any of you(or all of you?) that are experiencing the DB issue going back and forth between the command line (docker) and container station?

Thanks.

-K

Wouldn’t the Storj app itself already be the equivalent of using the command line?

Hi Karl,

I have only used the app - although it may be possible that I stopped the docker through the container station…

No solution yet - I am still eager to find out how to add the priveleged flag

Best, Michaël

After reading up, I am very reluctant to use the priveleged flag - re: security.

Would be great if we could find the real cause of the issue of Error starting master database on storagenode: storage node database error: unable to open database file: operation not permitted

Best, Michaël

@BrightSilence - correct, but it operates as a different User vs. a user logged-in manipulating docker from the cli.

Data we need would be:

• who was the logged-in user(admin group? other?) using container station?
  • for the Users using plain docker, what user id were they logged in under?

It’s likely a file permission issue - we’re trying to replicate the issue but haven’t been able to so far.

On the QNAP containers are at /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Container/container-station-data/lib/docker/containers - would you be able to provide some information on the file/director permissions of that tree?