Error starting master database (operation not permitted) after update on QNAP-Nas

I have installed a fresh QNAP with newest firmware an was only as admin logged in and have the problem too after all delete and new install the storj app 1.09 (same like 1.08)

@utropicmedia-karl

I have promt on ssh:

chmod -R 777 /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Container/container-station-data/lib/docker/containers

same promlem after that:
Error: Error starting master database on storagenode: storage node database error: unable to open database file: operation not permitted

storj.io/storj/storagenode/storagenodedb.(*DB).openDatabase:272                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

storj.io/storj/storagenode/storagenodedb.(*DB).openDatabases:187                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

storj.io/storj/storagenode/storagenodedb.New:174                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

main.cmdRun:150                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

storj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:353                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

storj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:371                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

github.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:840                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

github.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:945                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

github.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:885                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

storj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfig:88                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

storj.io/private/process.ExecCustomDebug:70                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

main.main:323                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

runtime.main:203

Hi Karl,

It was always admin logged in - I enabled 2 factor - not sure if that would have created another ‘admin’.

Best, Michaël

Karl,

Made all container folder read write x enabled for user (admin) and group.

Same error - (like Otti24)

Best, Michaël

:weary:
Please don’t do this… ever.

1 Like

Agree.

It’s always a bad idea to 777 almost anything. And anytime I’ve seen someone recommend it, it usually doesn’t work out that well or doesn’t fix the problem.

This problem seems to be QNAP specific. I’ve been reading in various other forums because it seems quite curious…

My discoveries:

• QNAP docker requires the -v option for volume mounting and does not support the -mount option.
  • QNAP docker does not necessarily run as GUID/UID 0 and might need to specially configured to do so.
  • QTS has an installation of DSL as a base … and is not easy to sort through… I went looking for OS image files and there aren’t any. The download from QNAP is additional software and configuration, not the whole OS.

So, I downloaded DSL:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

And started looking around, but it seems that the issue is probably related to docker configuration rather actual file permissions.

Additional…

Maybe one of the recent security QNAP patches for something on the vulnerability list changed the default docker settings:

The curious thing is that it’s only affecting particular configurations of QNAPs - there has to be something in-common.

QNAP Docker should also support -mount

[karl@**** ~]$ docker run --help | grep mount
  --mount mount                    Attach a filesystem mount to the container
  -v, --volume list                    Bind mount a volume

I found this reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/hovaua/volume_mounting_in_container_station_permission/

In a few other places, I noticed that people indicated that QNAP only supports volumes and does not support bind mounts.

In the source code of the QNAP app, the docker run command uses the -v option.

I remember reading around here that -mount is recommended and issues occur with -v … however, after reading about QNAP not supporting -mount I figured that the only method to running a node was -v

In any case, I don’t have a QNAP device myself… So, it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to find the problem.

1 Like

great bit of digging @anon27637763. We’re going through a few variations of the container config and will post our findings next week.

There has also been talk about replacing the container with just the binary in future versions.

4 Likes