ERROR version running on not allowed/outdated version v1.1.1

Developers have fixed this issue. Thank you for bringing it to our attention :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@deathlessdd
as written by Dylan it was fixed - I also wrote above that is again working. Even after I requested you to read the thread you did not.

But OK problem is fixed - that’s the important part for me.

Right but my point is rushing to update your nodes, I don’t restart my nodes just because I think I should do it. Unless what your saying is watchtower restarted your nodes…

I did not restart my node and I had not the intention to update - I saw tons of error messages in the node log asking for an upgrade and therefore refused working. That was the point in time I started to look if there is any update I could update to.
Result: there is no update available and as a result clarified that it must be an configuration issue on the storj network side that need to be fixed by the storj team. Obviously they did since 30min later the node could be restarted and the errors were gone.

Well thats all you needed to say, because I didnt see anyone posting any logs of there nodes. Just saying my node isnt starting up isn’t definitive enough for me to know if its related to watchtower updating your node to an unknown version or not.

Is it fixed? Can I restart my node if I need to do it before the update is released on docker?

Often enough my windows storage node updater service seems to stop for no reason…on multiple machines

The first post in the thread is a storagenode log line.

1 Like

Yeah but I know he doesn’t even use docker so, pretty much unrelated to watchtower, I think this had more to do with the minimal version then the actual update.

The question is not specifically about Docker, it’s about nodes failing because the minimum version was apparently raised above v1.1.1 accidentally. Users who were running v1.1.1 were finding that their nodes were not operating.

It has nothing to do with Docker or Windows and I would assume that the problem affected both platforms. This is apparent when reading the thread, so I’m not sure what you’re even trying to argue at this point.

The conflict seems to have started with this post:

And this isn’t even relevant to the issue at hand. Users weren’t trying to upgrade when this all started, they were finding their v1.1.1 nodes had simply stopped working altogether and wouldn’t restart. The error message (which is in the original post on this thread) implies that an update is required, but for SNOs on Docker there is none available.

There is no “rushing to update” here. This is about SNOs trying to get their nodes working again.

1 Like

If you read the entire post you will see people talking about updating there nodes.

Yes, because of the error message:

If you saw this message and didn’t realize that it was an error on Storj’s side, the first thing you would try to do is update as well.

Then, when you find there isn’t an update, you’ll come to the forums asking what’s going on and why you can’t update when the version you’re running is (apparently) disallowed.

Hence, this thread.

Right and that exactly what I said though, When have we ever had to update soon as a update released. We always had to wait 2 weeks at least for it to roll out. Nothing changed.

Correct. Except, in this case, SNOs were finding that their nodes refused to run at all and gave this error message.

The message is indicating that you must update before your node will start again so of course you are going to try to update and then panic when there is no update. You have a node that is down due to an apparent error that you can’t correct. That’s exactly the kind of situation where you’d come to the forums asking for help.

And then, they get sarcastic remarks thrown at them like

This is what people are taking issue with. This comment is unhelpful and unfairly criticizes SNOs who are just trying to get their nodes to start working again based on the advice given in the error message.

The error has since been corrected on Storj’s side, but at the time this thread (and some replies) were written, the error was still happening and their nodes would not start.

Sure I get it, but none of the people posting on this topic are “New SNOs” Ever since we got notified from the dashboard we needed to update our nodes, Doesn’t mean you should update it manually and you should wait for it to update if your running watch tower.

True… if your node was working. There is no reason to update a working node before the automatic update.

There is an urgent reason to update a node that refuses to start because it indicates that its version is disallowed. This is the point that you are missing.

This was not a notification from the dashboard; this was an error in the node log and it refused to even start, meaning the dashboard couldn’t even be loaded.

Chastising SNOs for being “impatient” in this situation is uncalled for.

Yeah but im having a hard time understanding what cause this if there nodes were working or else wouldn’t we all have this same issue, then?

Most likely they had restarted their node for other reasons (system reboot, configuration change, etc.) and then found that it refused to start with this error.

If you had restarted your node during the window where this configuration error was in place, you might find yourself in exactly the same situation. And you probably wouldn’t appreciate being told that you are impatiently “rushing to update” when you’re staring at a node that refuses to come back up.

Honestly I have been told it alot of times so no, And that is why im saying it now. Littleskunk has said it many times to me and other people so im relying the message.

Yep, in cases where people are rushing to update a functioning node, the advice is good. But here we had a case of a non-functioning node that was explicitly declaring that an update is required.

Honestly, there’s not much more for me to say here. The context of this thread is important and your original post (that I’ve quoted a few times already) is what people were taking issue with, particularly because the tone is overtly antagonistic to the SNOs who had broken nodes and were trying to fix them.

If you wish to continue this discussion in private, I am happy to do so but I don’t think it will be productive, and we’ve taken this thread pretty far off-topic.

Just please be careful how you phrase your advice and try to understand the context of the question being asked before writing such a pointed message.

1 Like