Errors after NAS was forcefully powered off

Hi,

My node runs on a synology NAS in an docker container. After the powersupply failed and I replaced it, the sotragenode ran fine for a week.

After another restart of the NAS, my node is constantly restarting.

This is the log im getting:

2022-02-14T11:33:15.152Z ERROR Invalid configuration. {“error”: “invalid contact.external-address: lookup “dyndns adress” failed: lookup dyndns adress on NAS-IP:53: read udp 172.17.0.3:48518->NAS-IP:53: read: connection refused”, “errorVerbose”: “invalid contact.external-address: lookup “dyndns adress” failed: lookup dyndns adress on NAS-IP:53: read udp 172.17.0.3:48518->NAS-IP:53: read: connection refused\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode.(*Config).Verify:157\n\tmain.cmdRun:188\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:363\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:381\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:852\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:960\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:897\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfig:88\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecCustomDebug:70\n\tmain.main:474\n\truntime.main:255”}
Error: invalid contact.external-address: lookup “dyndns adress” failed: lookup dyndns adress on NAS-IP:53: read udp 172.17.0.3:48518->NAS-IP:53: read: connection refused

whats port 53 doing? do I need to open it up for traffic?

Do you have an idea, how to fix this, as I am fresh out of those…

thank you for helping

Hi wish,

Port 53 is used for DNS lookups, so not a port that should need to be opened (it would normally not be blocked for outgoing connections). This error indicates that your node cannot reach out to the internet. Is it possible that a synology firmware update occurred during that last restart? I would check the firewall rules on the NAS to make sure it isn’t blocking outgoing connections from your node.

If you don’t find anything there I would try stopping, removing, and re-creating your container using the same run command as before. As long as the command is the same and the identity/storage files haven’t been moved you won’t lose anything by doing this.

(I hope you don’t mind, I fixed a slight error in your post title to make it a bit more clear)

5 Likes

Hi baker,

My NAS runs a pi-hole as well, which crashed. When I set my router as default DNS server again, the setting took for everything but the NAS. Just reentering the settings im my router fixed it.

thank you very much again for shining light on this, as it would have pained me to loose a 12 month old node.

Best of luck to you :smiley:

2 Likes